linearity differences between moog etherware standard and pro

Posted: 3/16/2007 3:23:54 PM
palmerr

Is the linearity difference between the moog etherware standrd model and pro really that substantial to warrant the $1000 difference in price? or are thee other substantial differnces beside the cool look (which I dont really care about). I do want something with a good linear response and was wonder if the extrta expense is worth it. If it is I'll do it.
Posted: 3/16/2007 5:06:09 PM
Charlie D

I did not notice a massive difference in linearity, except in the very highest registers (which are rarely used). I did however notice a general improvement in timbre, the range selector helps for certain repertoire (although only slightly), and I like being able to fiddle with the timbre dial. Generally easier to play, but not £700 easier. It does however look far better than the standard, and the workmanship is stunning.

The major setback with the E'Pro is that it's not awesomely reliable (lots of users, including myself, get a mysterious 'ghost' tone appearing from time to time which is seemingly impossible to remove), much less portable, and has a 'snappy' volume response that whilst making some sorts of dynamics easy, makes it almost impossible to go gently from silence to sound without a little bump.

Get the E'Standard first, then if you wish, attempt to get hold of an E'Pro. It's worth letting you know that the E'Pro will soon be replaced by an easier-to-produce version of the same model in the near future. Get an E'Standard, see how you do (after all, there is no guarantee you'll be satisfied with the results of your own playing), and then flog it on Ebay if you decide you want to upgrade. They really don't depreciate much at all, and if you sell the microphone stand you'll have along with it, you'll probably be able to at least break even.

I sold my E'Standard I for a profit.
Posted: 3/16/2007 5:25:11 PM
GordonC

The other thing you are paying for with the ePro is CV outs on pitch and volume.

These are available as do-it-y'self modifications for the Standard, and the volume is trivial if you're handy with a soldering iron, but the pitch is a serious project - every now and then people pop up looking for someone who has done it before but don't find any.

(Nice woo-woos on Buzz Aldron by the way. And hey, a didgeridoo - I think didgeridoo and theremin should work really well together, but I've never heard it.)
Posted: 3/17/2007 1:02:50 PM
Alexander

[i]It does however look far better than the standard[/i]

I'm going to dispute this. Just watch me. Dispute coming. Cover your eyes in horror. Here it comes.

You ready?

You're about to get a warm load of dispute juice all over your face.

Here it is: I disagree.

How d'you like that?

[i]The other thing you are paying for with the ePro is CV outs on pitch and volume[/i]

I finally did something useful with the Etherwave and the MS-20 today - I switched the oscillators off and just messed with the filter & amp envelopes and the pitch-CV converter. Now I do "plucked" Theremin.
Posted: 3/17/2007 3:55:46 PM
palmerr

Thanks for your posts. very helpfull. Still undecided because I like the idea of using external devices. Is this what the "CV" outputs are used for? I gather they are midi like connectors that hook to synths? So you can trigger other sounds with the CV capabilitis. But not being midi, does this mean that midi synths can not be used?
Posted: 3/17/2007 5:47:27 PM
GordonC

Yup. CV is for analogue gear, the kind of stuff that moog sell.

Ways to get MIDI from a theremin, in descending order of usefulness...

Wavefront Technologies (http://home.earthlink.net/~wavefront/) and theremin.co.uk (http://theremin.co.uk/) both sell audio to midi and CV converters for theremins.

Or you can buy a Jaycar midi "theremin" kit (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=KC5410) (I take no responsibility for the quality of the product. It is a discrete tone device, perhaps better described as an air-harp. I have never heard it played or seen it reviewed.)

Or, if you are very rich and even more patient you can wait for an ethervox (a very rare discontinued moog theremin with excellent midi capabilities) to appear on eBay.
Posted: 3/17/2007 7:03:22 PM
TomFarrell

I'm working on a jaycar midi theremin kit. I'll post details when it's done. I can extend a few remarks now.

1) The kit is not for novices. I find the instructions vague.

2) The case is too small. I'll have to install it in a bigger case after I get it working.

3) The manual says that you can select between it generating discrete notes (like an air harp) and it generating what it calls "pitch glide", which apparently means it bends each note into the next so that while you're actually generating a series of separate notes, it should sound as if it's one long note like a theremin.
Posted: 3/19/2007 2:43:29 PM
DiggyDog

Re "didgeridoo and theremin should work really well together". They do! I did a gig once where a didge player showed up.

I actually have one too but I don't have the patience to learn the circuler breathing trick that it would take to really play the thing well.

I have considered using a delay and looping it but I would rather just call in someone who can actually play it well....
Posted: 3/19/2007 3:00:10 PM
palmerr

Your right call in a didj player. Our didj player is awesome. One gig he couldnt make it and I played it with delay effects to compensate for my very poor circlular breathing technique. it just wasnt the same. I'm looking forward to exploring Didj and Theramin with him over tribal drums

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.