Introduction, in novel form.

Posted: 6/15/2007 5:52:50 AM
computerweekend

First of all, I just wanted to say that you guys have the best sense of humor, as a group, and something on this forum always makes me smile or giggle. So I am really excited to enter the world of theremins and thereminists, because you are all nuts.

Hello!!

I just bought my first theremin today, a Moog Etherwave... and I thought they were entertaining in videos... wow!

I first saw a theremin in 1999 (I was 14), and it was the spookiest experience. I remember thinking, "I know that lady is playing a violin, but I don't see the violin..."

When I was very small, my dad got me into Jean-Michel Jarre, who was really a pioneer of synthesized music... he really took it all to a new dimension (well, it was the first dimension for me, at the time). So, since I was little, it's always been a dream of mine to explore the strange and interesting sounds and devices of the world of electronic music.

In 2000 I met Bob Moog at NAMM (I had to pretend I was someone else, seriously - I may not be your typical female, but I sure as heck don't look like a Tim.) and the whole experience was nothing short of inspiring and life-changing! He was really an incredible person... I sometimes still can't believe he's gone.

So I thought it only appropriate that now that I have a job and a car, that I should take the road trip to Truetone Music in Santa Monica, along the beautiful California coast, and make my first theremin a Moog theremin.

I have tiny, tiny fingers. My middle fingers aren't more than 2" long - this makes it very difficult to play pretty much any musical instrument. I own a piano (the love of my life), an acoustic guitar (of the cheap variety), a violin (of the practically-made-of-cardboard variety), and an accordion (of the awesome variety)... and after about 10 minutes of playing, my hands are so sore that I can't go on. It's frustrating. Enter the theremin. No frets. No reaching 14 keys. This is good for tiny fingers. This is my reasoning behind owning a theremin. I can actually play it!

And so far, so good. Better than I expected. Then again, I've been watching a lot of videos and waving my hands around in the air like a maniac for several years. I'm not medicated anymore, really, the doctors said I was better.

Anyhow! It's good to be here. And I hope to learn a lot.

-EJ
Posted: 6/15/2007 8:17:46 AM
DiggyDog

Welcome to ThereminWorld.

You sound just strange enough to fit in nicely here.
Posted: 6/15/2007 2:55:53 PM
computerweekend

Thanks DiggyDog!
Posted: 6/15/2007 4:30:24 PM
GordonC

Welcome to TW, EJ.

[i]but I sure as heck don't look like a Tim[/i]

So that's a shadow on your avatar's chin, not a goatee? (Good photo, incidentally.)

[i]tiny fingers[/i]

Interesting. Some of the finest thereminists have been somewhat slight of stature; Clara Rockmore, Lydia Kavina, Pamelia Kurstin. My guess is that it's about being able to make small, precise movements of the hand. So tiny fingers could turn out to be a positive advantage.

Do keep us informed of how you get along. :-)

Posted: 6/15/2007 5:09:07 PM
computerweekend

Thanks for the welcome!

Hah, forgive the avatar! I don't have one of myself, so I'm pretending to be some other person named Devin. That's my Devin mask. I look nothing like that. Significantly less facial hair. Significantly.

Interesting idea about the tiny hands, but your right - maybe it will actually turn out to be an advantage this time. Maybe I was built to play the theremin. Maybe all my life was just a set-up to get me to buy a theremin yesterday, to discover exactly what my purpose was, the true meaning of my life...

OR maybe Fate was feeling a bit tipsy and confused.
Posted: 6/15/2007 6:13:06 PM
buddy_craigg

oh hell there's another one.

i'm sorry for your loss of sanity.
Posted: 6/15/2007 6:56:00 PM
omhoge

buddy don't be sorry
if it weren't for our loss of sanity
many of us would not be around
Gordon, ah, I thought the same thing
we recreate ourselves more often
than most people think
Posted: 6/15/2007 7:04:12 PM
computerweekend

Thanks for your condolences, but I don't particularly miss it. I'm too busy writing love poems to my black rectangle in my idle moments at work.

I do love my black rectangle. It is much more fun to play than my black violin-shaped thing. Which is, coincidentally, a violin.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.