Standard Moog Etherwave Theremin- is this all I need?

Posted: 10/9/2007 1:24:24 AM
Alan_in_CA

As someone who is building a theremin (a Theremax kit) I can assure you it's not significantly more economical if at all; the main reason to do it is for the experience. If getting up and going is your objective, the EW is certainly a VERY reasonable way to go. I gather (I can't speak from personal experience) that it will work just fine on a table--but make sure the volume loop is NOT over the table--it has to be hanging off the edge. Maybe in another two or three weeks (after I build it) I will see and hear my first theremin! I'm certainly looking forward to it. And thanks for the repertoire suggestions, Charlie--that's what I had been planning to do, but positive reinforcement is very welcome. (I have a lot of songs tucked away in my head that I have never heard anyone play on a theremin--but I enjoy them.)
Posted: 10/9/2007 4:13:37 AM
GordonC

Playing at a table will affect the sound - indirectly...

I would prefer to sit (for health reasons) but I find standing gives me greater mobility within the control zone, and it has a whole different feel - I guess this goes for most instruments, but I don't play other instruments, so the best comparison I can find is having a conversation - sitting chatting with someone over a coffee table is just not the same as standing at a lectern speaking to an audience (either real or imaginary.) You say different things, you say them differently. It's an other mindset.
Posted: 10/9/2007 5:22:39 AM
omhoge

Strohbie, a mic stand does work best. If you set the theremin on a table you have to be sure the loop extends off the edge and is in free space or the instrument may not sound properly.

Great to see several new members taking the theremin plunge, and thanks everyone for jumping in and helping.
Posted: 10/9/2007 5:20:35 PM
Strohbie

Thanks for the input everyone! That's very helpful
Posted: 10/9/2007 11:33:54 PM
Jason

When you get a stand, be sure to check how stable it is. You really don't want your theremin wobbling back and forth while you're trying to hold a steady note.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.