Roll Call! - 2007

Posted: 10/16/2007 1:19:18 PM
Jason

Originally Posted: 3/2/2005 in Roll Call!

Now that we have all these new registered users, I thought it'd be nice to get to know each other a bit more. I'll start things off:

Hey y'all. I'm Jason Barile, and I run Thereminworld.com. The theremin discovered me while I was in college: Pere Ubu was opening for They Might Be Giants, and the lead singer held a theremin out over the front row of the audience so they could "play" along during the song. I was hooked! I started "The Theremin Home Page" back then and it's evolved over the past 8 years or so into what Thereminworld is today.

I'm the proud owner of an original Etherwave, signature series Etherwave #007, and Ethervox #10. I don't get to practice playing as much as I'd like (or need to), but who does? ;)

I had the wonderful opportunity to attend the 1997 Theremin Festival in Portland, Maine, where I presented a theremin-playing robot I helped build in grad school. I also got to meet and perform with Lydia Kavina on stage then, and again in 2003 at a Russian music festival in Seattle. That's about it for my professional playing experience, but who knows what the future holds?

Aside from running this site in my spare time, I'm a software test manager at Microsoft. I used to work on the Windows Shell, and now I work on developer tools. You can read about my work life here: http://blogs.msdn.com/jasonba.

I live in Apex, NC - just about 3 hours from Asheville and Moog Music. I have a wife, 2 year old twins, a dog (named after Willie Nelson), and a cat.

I'm a theremin addict.

Who's next?
Posted: 10/16/2007 7:30:24 PM
buddy_craigg

wait a minute. jason is expecting a second set of twins? with odds like that, you need to play the lottery
Posted: 10/16/2007 7:36:05 PM
omhoge

or you need, really need
to play the theremin
Posted: 10/24/2007 3:02:01 PM
Thereminator

Hello,

I'm Rens Duijsens from the Netherlands.
I'm very VERY new to the Theremin.
Seeing a small article about the intrument, I got instant very VERY intrested.

I am wondering if I should learn to play an instrument for YEARS.
I could however, never find an instrument that would be ... eh ... be me.
THIS IS IT!
I erally, REALLY want to learn to play this instrument.

Is there someone who knows where I can studie the Theremin in the Netherlands. (best for me, would be in the middle of teh country.)

I would be pleased with that information.

Friendly greetings
Rens Duijsens
Posted: 10/24/2007 3:38:48 PM
GordonC

Wilco Botermans holds workshops from time to time.

http://theremin.nl/

Welcome to Theremin World.
Posted: 10/25/2007 4:37:36 AM
Thereminator

Thank you.
I'm trying to contact him now.
Posted: 10/25/2007 6:45:35 AM
Alexander

Wait, do we have to do it again?

I'm Alex, I'm noisy, also I'm quite soothing and melodic at times, my Theremin gets angry, I have a winning rig, I do solo gigging, I guest on albums, I am from Bristol.

My friend is nice

I like pork, in fact I have been subsisting on a diet of pork and cider for exactly one week now and I still love both as much as when I started, however today will be the day when I eat some vegetables because I think I'm losing my immune system.
Posted: 11/3/2007 12:54:23 PM
Thereminator

Hello again.

I have had contact with Wilco.
And I have been visiting him for an introduction.

My mind is made up.
I found out I could make some (very simple) tunes that were recognisable, so..... I'm purchasing a Theremin, complete with al things I need.

Thanks for the directions to Wilco, and Wilco,
thanks for the directions to the purchase. :-)

Are there any tips on the next steps?
(For instance: what forum to visit, where to get music for my laptop to play along, etc....)

Friendly greetings,

Rens
Posted: 11/5/2007 3:00:23 PM
Thereminator

YEAH!
Tomorrow (6-nov) I'm getting my Theremin!
Rens is happy. :-)
Posted: 11/5/2007 6:55:26 PM
omhoge

good!
you may not sleep the first night.
just keep playing.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.