Burns B3 good beginers Theremin?

Posted: 10/21/2007 5:02:56 PM
Ian Nexus

I am a newcomer to Theremins but have been aware of thier existence for many years ( I am an Electronics Engineer and worked for BSS Audio a few years back)I am a bit of a perfectionist and was concerned that shortcomings with the excellent value B3 might annoy me. How does the pitch linearity compare with the Moog Etherwave Std?, does the volume antenna being closer to the pitch antenna cause any issues?. As the Etherwave Std. costs $500 here (240V PSU is only differeance) I may be inclined to buy an Etherwave in USA as I am spending Christmas with my inlaws in Mississippi.
Posted: 10/21/2007 8:15:05 PM
GordonC

From what I hear, the B3 is less linear than the etherwave.

Yes, the proximity of the two antennas means the pitch field is rather small. Would you be content with a piano with half sized keys?

From the sound of it, you want an etherwave.

(I'm about 33 miles south of you. If you want to try an etherwave, email me. gordonc at theremin dot org dot uk)
Posted: 10/21/2007 11:56:48 PM
TomFarrell

Ian, if you're going to buy an Etherwave while visiting the US, you should probably order it in advance of your visit and have it shipped to your relatives. They're not exactly available in the average corner guitar shop even here in the US, so by ordering it in advance you can ensure that you'll get one.
Posted: 10/22/2007 3:41:43 AM
Alan_in_CA

And if I am not mistaken, the mains power in the UK is different from the U.S. (U.S. 115V 60cps). Again if I am not mistaken, Moog makes allowance for that. Or you just get your own wall wart transformer--not sure. And what about a Kees? They have a real nice sound, and the price is right, although delivery might be a trifle slow--few on the shelf. Gordon has one and can speak authoritatively. Another idea--I don't know how the VAT and import tariff folks are in the UK, but perhaps the duty on an Etherwave kit would be significantly less than the fully assembled item. The Etherwave kit comes with a fully assembled and tested printed circuit board (again as I recall).
Posted: 10/22/2007 3:48:22 AM
Alan_in_CA

Another thought--Mississippi? Thomas Grillo is in Jackson, the state capital. I think he has an Etherwave and a B3. I suppose you would be flying into either Jackson or Memphis (Tennessee, just over the state line). I would second the suggestion to order in advance if you are going to pick up an Etherwave in the U.S., unless you just happen to be passing by the factory.
Posted: 10/22/2007 5:18:59 AM
GordonC

My transformer - input 230V 50Hz 0.05A - output 14v AC 200mA.

It is labelled Turnkey/Soho Soundhouse. I got my etherwave from Turnkey, the adaptor came with it.

One point to note is that the adaptor plugs into the etherwave with a three pin DIN plug (!) so if you get one from elsewhere the chances are it's going to be soldering iron time. Shouldn't be an issue for an electronics engineer.

(Incidentally, Moog supply full circuit diagrams etc. Download as pdfs from here (http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?product_manuals=1&modify=true&main_product_id=14).)

The Kees Enkelaar theremin (http://people.aapt.net.au/~fwhite/theremin/) is a nice product with a very pure, sinewavey tone and linearity very like the etherwave. I would recommend it for a hobbyist rather than a performer. You may have to wait to place an order, but shipping is not an issue.
Posted: 10/22/2007 5:25:42 PM
Ian Nexus

Thank you all for the good advice, I guess that the Burns B3 may be a little too basic for me. I will also consider the Kees Enlkelarr now. I know it may seem like an odd question , what is the box dimensions and weight of the Etherwave Standard, I need to allow for it in my return luggage, (and chance it to British Airways luggarge handlers at DFW).
I know Jackson MS very well!! My wife worked in the Library on State Street.

Best Regards Ian
Posted: 10/23/2007 1:21:26 AM
Alan_in_CA

I am building a PAiA Theremax from a kit, primarily because I figured doing so would produce a greater psychological investment, leading to a greater probability of persistence in what I intend to be a long-term hobby. There are some recently developed modifications from PAiA I will be sharing momentarily. RE Jackson--I may be going there on business next summer. Small world.
Posted: 10/29/2007 9:03:15 AM
JustinBH

The Etherwave shipping box is approximately 7.5" x 8.5" x 22". The packing materials are very light so wouldn't add much to the weight, however I strongly recommend getting the padded Etherwave gig bag at the same time (if you decide to get it later it can cost a lot for postage on its own)-the combined weight of my Etherwave and gig bag is 2.9kg, and that would be easily packable in a suitcase (21x7x8in) or practical as carry-on luggage.

You can order 220V power supplies from stateside dealers-I'm in Australia and when I mailordered mine a while back I got it from Audiosyncrazy in Florida who didn't charge extra for the 220V adapter (and were easy to deal with)-your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps!
Posted: 10/30/2007 10:28:28 AM
Thomas Grillo

Hi Ian, I'd be happy to demo the B3, and Etherwave theremins for you. The B3 may be basic, but it's good enough to serve as a backup theremin on my gigs. I usually play every saturday at Fondren Guitars from 1 to 4pm central, and usually have the B3 with me. You can also arange to meet with me at my home any time to see the B3 if you like. My main theremins are the Standard, and Pro.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.