Proper gear for performing and recording my new Theremin...

Posted: 12/30/2007 1:50:58 AM
livingjane

I would greatly appreciate any feedback concerning the following gear I'm considering buying to support the arrival next week of my first Theremin, the Etherwave Standard:
Amplifier: ULTRATONE K1800FX
(Ultra-Flexible 180-Watt 4-Channel PA System / Keyboard Amplifier with FX and FBQ Feedback Detection)
Recording Gear to connect to my PC: MBox 2 Pro
Wireless Microphone: SLX14/WH30
Plus 2 guitar cords; one 6 ft and one 10ft
& Headphones (ATH-M30)
Will this work and did I miss anything?????

Posted: 12/30/2007 4:08:17 AM
GordonC

Hi Livingjane.

I'd include a microphone stand to put your etherwave on. Tripod or weighted base - whichever you prefer.

I can't speak to the PC gear - I use Macs. Recording to PC isn't necessary straight away - unless you particularly want to add another "I've just got a theremin, it goes woo" video to youTube. On the other hand, it is useful to be able to listen to what you have played whilst learning, and recording to PC is one option. Loopers also offer that sort of feedback possibility as well as being a useful tool for the solo performer, and avoid all the hassle of setting up your PC to record - just step on a button and you're good to go.

The amplifier. It has the right specs - it's a keyboard amp. Beyond that, I don't know the particular model you're looking at. It's a lot of amp for a low price, which makes me a little suspicious - especially as it has a multi-effects box included in the cost. I'm not a fan of multi-effects - I'd rather not have a jack-of-all-trades. My instinct would be initially to buy a small practice amp until I've learned to play the instrument to the point where I'm comfortable playing in front of strangers, then go to my local music store on a quiet day and try out a whole range of larger amplifiers. The amp is very much a part of the instrument, and the only way to judge an instrument is to hear it playing music - your music. Reverb is good - adds a lot to the quality of the sound, takes that flat electronic edge off it and moves it closer to an acoustic instrument - go for an amp that has it built in, or get a little reverb pedal.

My opinions only.
Posted: 12/30/2007 2:44:12 PM
livingjane

Thank you kindly for your opinion. I did pick up a stand, and as far as the recording thing, I've been doing musical improvisation in the studio for over 20 years, and plan to use the Theremin right away for this purpose. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to learn to play actual songs. I'm also thinking I could do some poetry/live performance art around town at the local coffee shops. I'm a little worried about the amount of tinkering required in owning a Theremin...I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
Thanks again,
LJ
Posted: 12/30/2007 5:38:34 PM
Jon B

What's this "tinkering" you're worried about? In my experience, owning a theremin is no more complicated than owning a guitar. It's learning to play the thing well that's way more difficult.

If you're looking to do simple home recording, the mbox will work well. You can plug the theremin directly into it, bypassing your amp.
Posted: 12/30/2007 6:07:13 PM
livingjane

Thanks Jon...the guys at the music store were not familiar with Theremins, so I wanted to make sure the equipment I was buying would work. I was originally going to go the amp route that GordonC suggested, but got talked into this specialty amp. For improvisational purposes, I really liked the numerous reverb settings available on the amp. I have always had the honor of working with technical geniuses. I wish I'd paid closer attention...LOL!
Posted: 12/30/2007 7:21:03 PM
GordonC

Poetry and theremin is great. I did a call and response thing with a mad poet lady (the best sort!) a while ago and it was a load of fun. She gave me lines from an epic poem covering her opinion of mostly everything, and I responded with twisty little phrases carved out of the air with my hands.

I'm just discovering the some of joys of a decent reverb - my little amp came with a rather basic one - a slow sweep through the frequencies with a big smooth hall reverb leaves an asteroid trail of sound like dust in a ray of light. Mmmm.

Posted: 12/31/2007 12:26:09 AM
Alan_in_CA

I have the next model down in the Behringer Ultratone line, the K900FX, and I figure I did well. That may be more a reflection of my ignorance and poor ears than anything else, but so far so good.

Next year sometime I may get a pedal to turn the effects on and off. The Behringer service folks said any momentary latching switch will do, and switchable polarity is a nice touch. I ordered a Korg PS100, which seemed economical, but they are sold out everywhere.
Posted: 12/31/2007 1:34:12 PM
livingjane

Thanks Alan...it's a relief to know that this amp is being used successfully with a Theremin. I liked the sound of the amp at the music store, but there was no Theremin to hook up to it. It's good to know about the pedal...should one need to turn the efx on and off during a performance. ~~~I tried to get a Korg PS100, and noticed on the website that this pedal was discontinued??~~~

Thanks everyone for your input:)
LJ
aka Mad Poet Lady
Posted: 12/31/2007 8:49:51 PM
Alan_in_CA

I use a pair of headphones from my amp to spare my housemates [wife and cat]; and I have hooked up an inexpensive CD/DVD player from Radio Shack for accompaniment. One of the good things about the Korg foot switch was that the price included the cable; it was about half the price of others.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.