I found the instrument of my life!

Posted: 3/19/2008 12:59:34 PM
Noora

I have been looking for the perfect instrument for myself for the last ten years, and on monday I accidently noticed theremin mentioned in our local newspaper. I searched for more information and now I have found it difficult to do anything else than dream about this instrument!

I will buy mine soon, but first I have to graduate (still one month left) - otherwise I would just play and not concentrate on finishing my studies :)

Have you found these two video tutorials useful? The DVD: Clara Rockmore: the Greatest Theremin Virtuosa, and the DVD: Mastering the Theremin, featuring Lydia Kavina. If I buy theremin from Finland, these are not included and each cost 40 euros (!).
Posted: 3/19/2008 6:26:25 PM
teslatheremin

Welcome!
Which Theremin are you considering?
Also, many great Theremin tutorials are available on the 'YouTube' and 'Veoh' video sites.

Good Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 3/19/2008 7:11:01 PM
Noora

I am planning to purchase the Moog etherwave standard, I think it's the best at the moment as I don't have the time and patience to build my own, and the difference between standard and pro seems to be quite small (at least now at the beginning, maybe later I will upgrade if necessary).

Btw, is there any difference between the standards of black, (was it chestnut)wood and cherry? Only the looks or do they have different sound?

I have checked some tutorials in internet, they seem to be good. I was just wondering if the dvd's provide something that the internet does not. I was also thinking about ordering the "How to play the theremin by peter pringle".
Posted: 3/25/2008 8:47:59 AM
Navrag

The differences between the various cases are just looks. With the kit, you get to colour it yourself!

Peter Pringles DVD is excellent!
Posted: 3/25/2008 8:58:41 AM
Noora

Thank you for the replyes! :)

I think the kit is too difficult for me so I will probably get the Moog theremin, maybe later I will build my own.
Posted: 3/25/2008 1:03:49 PM
oron_01

Hi there...
I came across your post and your dilemma about which Theremin to get..and I agree the Theremin is just magical, I cannot find any other words. And just as a side argument I must say Finland is a lovely place!

anyway have you seen the PAiA kits or complete Theremins? you can find them at:
http://www.paia.com
just because there is quite a difference in price between the Theremax and the Moog Etherwave...even more if you are willing to give a go at the kit and then make/adapt some sort of case...especially as the first instrument; it could add to the experience...
there also are some interesting issues as far as the type of sound is concerned. From the PAiA site there are links onto some interesting articles; such as: www.madtheory.com/Theremin.html

...and lastly there is a very interesting and very touching documentary called: Theremin: an Electronic Odyssey. About Prof. Termen and a string of other characters and events....a real pleasure to absorb.

Ok Noora; the very best of luck with your Theremin endeavours! and remember that Lydia Kavina - Termen's relative and student - will be playing in Helsinki this July at the Kuhmo festival. I might just make it with a bit of luck!
ciao.
Posted: 3/26/2008 1:08:54 AM
Alan_in_CA

On YouTube, look up the lessons of Thomas Grillo. And there should shortly be a post here about an English translation of Victor Estrada's method for theremin, which is free.
Posted: 3/26/2008 12:03:57 PM
Noora

Thank you again for replies!

I can't make it to Kuhmo, unfortunately.. But it would be great to have some international theremin festival in Europe some day (there is one in Spain this summer but all the programm is in Spanish!).

And think I lack the time and talent to build my own theremin, but maybe later I will do so! :)
Posted: 3/26/2008 12:31:37 PM
Navrag

Also check the videos on Kevin Kissingers site

http://kevinkissinger.com/videos.shtml
Posted: 3/26/2008 12:43:40 PM
oron_01

it is a pleasure to dwell on the theremin subject.

...yes after a little thought I realised that maybe building your own from scratch can be a bit of a daunting task, however exciting it might sound.
...I would not go as far as saying that is lack of talent just a little experience with electronics components and soldering...I done so much of it at school that I kind of overlook it.

I dont know of any festivals this side of the pond and I thought kuhmo its a chance to see a pedigree player and so intrinsically related to the whole Theremin universe, will see if I make it.

anyhow, good luck with it all!

moi moi

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.