About Theremaniacs

Posted: 6/18/2008 3:01:51 PM
Sydelism

Hi thereminists!
Maybe there is stupid questions...

Where can I see good pictures of the theremaniac ? Did someone have uploaded pictures of it ? Because the pictures on the official website are colorfully ugly. I just want to see before buying (where I have to plug the jack, the switch on/off, and others stupid things, I'm a newbie).

Can I plug any kind of guitar pedal effect on the theremin ?

PS: excuse my bad english :)
Posted: 6/18/2008 4:03:14 PM
GordonC

Welcome to theremin world. I have not seen any photos of the theremaniacs pitch only theremin on the internet other than those on the maker's website. It's a black box with an antenna sticking out of the top. From the video on the website (also on youTube (http://youtube.com/watch?v=WUMYeEQYJ4Q)) the tuning knob is on the front and the audio socket is on the back. It is likely that plugging in the audio jack turns it on, like an effects pedal. If not, then the switch is on the back too. It is also available, cheaper, without the black box. You can put it into whatever shape and colour box you like, and stick the knobs and sockets etc where you want.

Some guitar effects pedals work well with theremins. As in the video above, echo pedals work very well. So do pitch shifters, fuzz, wah, ring-mod and reverb. Other things might or might not work well - try whatever pedals you have.

The biggest limitation of the theremaniacs theremin is the lack of volume control. Ideally, you want a theremin with pitch and volume antennas - without that the name "theremin" is a misnomer. You can add a volume pedal and a kill switch (a button to temporarily disconnect the sound, either hand held or foot operated) then you would have the predecessor of the theremin, the more primitive "aetherphon" but it is not as versatile as a proper two antenna theremin.
Posted: 6/18/2008 4:16:08 PM
Sydelism

Is the volume antenna really important if we want to play some melodies and a lot of psychedelic sounds? I mean it really disturb the sound ? The Etherwave looks better but my budget is restricted.

Thanks for answer anyway :) I think I'm gonna use a volume pedal.
Posted: 6/20/2008 4:52:21 PM
Thomas Grillo

If you want to play music with expressive dynamics, you'd do well to go with a theremin with the volume antenna.

If finances are at issue, you might look into the B3 theremin for $152 at soundslikeburns.com.

It's small, and challenging to play due to it's small size, but still quite playable.

Ultimately, if you find yourself serious about the theremin, consider the Etherwave Standard kit which comes with a fully assembled circuit board, and is an easy build up. It's available for $329 at zzounds.com.

If you're savy with the soldering iron, the PAiA theremax is the cheapest pitch / volume theremin, but it's challenging to build, and tune. It's available for $230 with the cabinet at PAiA.com

Goodluck, and welcome to the theremin.
Posted: 6/21/2008 7:09:36 PM
teslatheremin

Welcome to Theremin World!
Thomas Grillo's post here is one of the best and most succinct(sp?), that I have ever read on Theremin World as to a newbie's Theremin purchasing options.
And, the undoubtable Gordon knows his effects pedals and computer proceesing of a couple brands of Theremins, literally backwards and forwards.
Plus, Theremin World is a living growing library breathing all things Theremin. Use Google and discover!
Again, welcome!

Good Luck!

teslatheremin

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.