Theremin nearly here

Posted: 7/28/2008 5:43:27 AM
DarkMoonWolf

Hi,
i already introduced myself shortly in the Roll Out. I'm a student of computer science from Lübeck/Germany and ordered my Theremin about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I heard from theremins in octobre last year when i heard a lecture about computer and music at the univerity and was fascinated.

As it seems, they are rare here or many order them. I could've had a theremin earlyier by taking the cherry optic, but i wanted the Moog Etherwave Standard (Exploration Kit, not the DIY-Version) in black optics. Today i phoned the store and they said it's in germany and was sent to them today, so it will arrive there tomorrow or on wednesday. Finally.

I also ordered the book from Carolina Eyck (german version) to get the first steps on playing it. I already played violin and piano as a child, but stopped about 7 or 8 years ago, so i'm a little out of training in playing anything instrumental. I think i'll use this thread to post some experiences and so on i'm making with my theremin.

greetings from northern germany
Ronny aka DarkMoonWolf
Posted: 7/28/2008 6:33:14 AM
fairplay

Hi Ronny,

congratulations on your decision to try the theremin and to join this forum!

Have you checked out the announcements for the Lippstadt-event this year in september already?

Find more information at Gordons site http://www.myspace.com/withouttouch or at http://www.theremin.musikschule-lippstadt.de/.

Have fun!

[i]fairplay, waving 'hi' from the republics southerly end...[/i]
Posted: 7/28/2008 1:41:38 PM
DarkMoonWolf

Thanks for the hint and i would like to visit it. But there are two points against it, first its about 350km from here, so too much for driving, and train is too expensive for me i think. But the main point is i got one of my diploma orals the monday after that event. So even if i would like to join that, i just can't.
Posted: 7/28/2008 6:53:08 PM
Thierry

Only 350km, that's a "Katzensprung". Some people will have lots of kilometers more to drive...

And your diploma orals on Monday... Are you sure that something that you learn only one or two days before the orals will really change your future professional life? ;-)

By the way, @fairplay: shall I now make a definite Hotel reservation for you, or do you prefer not to share the same roof with GordonC and me? :-)))
Posted: 7/29/2008 1:39:59 AM
DarkMoonWolf

The “Katzensprung“ may be right for some visitors. For me (student, just a small job to finance that) - it's quite far.

Okay, the day befor the orals i won't learn, that's right. But it won't be a great idea to tell a professor 60 minutes about the fascinating weekend with many thereminists, when he just askes technical computer science stuff ;)
Posted: 7/29/2008 3:44:13 AM
fairplay

[i]shall I now make a definite Hotel reservation for you, or do you prefer not to share the same roof with GordonC and me? :-)))[/i]

...I cannot express how keen I am on being able to share a couple of days at the same place with you and Gordon...

...but I just (last friday) learned that I'll have to wait until august 27 to be able make any confirmation. I have high hopes that it will [i]just work out[/i] - but I am dependant on so many things and persons right now, and despite my hopes it was not possible to get all dates required stuffed into august, so there will be an overlap into september...

Thank you for the offer, Thierry!
Posted: 7/29/2008 1:28:46 PM
DarkMoonWolf

Now it is not only nearly, but
really
here. I unpacked and startet few movements. Okay, nothing really you could name a melody, but i plan to train a little bit every day following the - hopefully soon arriving - book from Carolina Eyck.

The Moog Etherwave Std looks great.
Posted: 8/24/2008 6:02:07 PM
carport888

Hi Ronny,
How is your Theremin journey coming along?

~Dan
Posted: 8/25/2008 1:16:05 AM
DarkMoonWolf

Thanks for questioning.
Not that good at the moment. The book is here and i red the first stuff, how to get notes with only moving fingers, but i have my first diploma exam soon, so the most time of each day i'm learning, repeating stuff for that. After that there are three more exams, but as i arranged the most difficult exam as my first one i hope to get more time after that exam. Up to know i just trained some hand positions, not really much :/

greetings
Ronny

PS: The diploma or „Diplom“ as it's called in german is comparable to a masters degree at international universities, in fact it's slowly replaced by the master here. Main difference are the exams, master students have little exams for every course they hear, i have 4 exams, each covering stuff of 7 courses.
Posted: 8/25/2008 11:46:12 AM
Jason

Ronny - good luck with your exams! Focus on those so you can celebrate with your theremin afterwards :) Cheers!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.