Assorted questions

Posted: 7/21/2009 12:54:04 AM
Etherspiel

All this talk of the Wavefront classic is interesting. I understand that the wavefront is based on the Moog etherwave design. The addition of the "linearization coil" seems to actually make the linearity worse instead of better. Gene brought one of his new models to my studio last month, and it sounded just like my Etherwave+, but was not as linear - it had compression in the lower and upper octaves, and varied spacing in the mid range.

I find my E-Pro and Etherwaves easier to play. The cabinet is nice, though. I am interested in one of Gene's instruments if he can modify it for me.
Posted: 7/21/2009 7:22:25 AM
Thereminstrel

"All this talk of the Wavefront classic" is pehaps a bit of an over-statement. I merely suggested that for someone wanting something similar to an E-Standard but in a traditional-style cabinet with the option to adapt it for left-handed playing, the Wavefront seems to tick all the boxes.

Having a WF Classic, E-Pro and E-Standard, I personally find the WF's playability somewhere between the E-Standard and E-Pro. I find that the WF's top one to two octaves gradually compress; however, as it seems to go a good octave higher than the E-Standard (and for my taste that top octave is too high for useful playing) I find that in the equivalent range of both theremins the WF comapres favourably withthe ES - mainly because I feel its lowest octaves are more playable than the E-Standard.

This is just my personal observation and not based on anything technical! The problem with saying one theremin is "easier to play" than another can sometimes be because the theremin a person is most used to playing and plays most frequently, will probably "fit" most comfortably. These days, I try to regularly switch between theremins so that one doesn't get more "comfortable" than another - although, if I HAD to pick a favourite, it's possibly the E-Pro at present ... although that could change by next week!!!

I guess I can't comment on whether the WFC sounds "just like" an Etherwave Plus as I've never heard/tried one. I'd assumed (perhaps wrongly) that the E-Standard and Plus would sound the same - and can only say that to my ear, the sound of the WFC has a far greater depth/resonance/presence (non-technical terms!) than the E-Standard. Again, this is just my impression/personal taste - and shouldn't be taken as definitive!
Posted: 7/21/2009 1:19:01 PM
Etherspiel

Hi Thereminstrel -

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to bust your chops. I have heard your Wavefront on your Youtube video and it sounds very different than the ones I have played - yours has a wonderful cello-like sound. I was disappointed when Gene brought one over for me to try and it sounded just like an Etherwave standard (the E+ has a similar sound). I remember years ago that Gene told me the Wavefront is based on the Etherwave circuit, so it is not suprising to me, but I was hoping it would sound more like yours does - if it did, I would buy one.

Incidentally, I own an Etherwave standard, an Etherwave Pro, a Theremax, and an Etherwave+. The new E+ I find is more linear than the earlier E-standard.

Playability wise, I like the E-Pro and the E+ the best of the ones I own. Soundwise, I like the etherwave standard and Theremax the best. I don't care for the sound of the E-Pro as much.
Posted: 7/21/2009 2:35:48 PM
Thereminstrel

Hello Etherspiel,
No problem! I'm interested to hear that you find the Etherwave Plus more "linear" than the Standard. I might sell my E-Standard some time and replace it with an E+. As much as I like the WFC and E-Pro, I'd prefer something more portable should I play away from home ... but as I've found the Standard the least playable of the three, it wouldn't be my first choice to take with me. An E+ sounds ideal.
I also didn't like the sound of the E-Pro so much at first and was initially a little disappointed. I only liked two out of the five presets (flute and voice sounds) ... but several months on I'm finding (to my surprise) that the brighter, sharper sounding presets I initially disliked, I'm starting to like quite a lot!
Posted: 7/21/2009 3:02:04 PM
Thierry

There has been no design change between the Standard and the Plus version which would improve linearity in general. But I found that older Etherwave Standards with the bigger three pitch linearization coils were less linear than the newer ones with smaller, more compact coils. Although the inductance is the same it may be an issue of internal parasitic capacitance. I discovered also recently that the older version may not be tweaked up in the same manner as the newer ones in order to increase the pitch range and thus gaining more linearity in the useful range.
Posted: 7/21/2009 3:14:35 PM
Etherspiel

Thierry -

Amos at Moog told me that they did make some changes to the circuit in the new E+ to improve the linearity.

Posted: 7/21/2009 3:41:44 PM
Thierry

Ah, thank you, that's a new information!

So I was wrong based on a Moog info from 6 months ago. Sorry!
Posted: 7/23/2009 3:46:25 PM
ChrisFlynn

Thankyou everyone for your replies! All have been thoroughly read, digested and appreciated.

* Coalport - "It shouldn't [hum]. Sounds like you may have a grounding problem. This can happen if you have your theremin or any of its components (amp, speaker etc.) plugged into peripherals (computers, FX boxes, splitters, etc.) that are plugged into different AC outlets. You might try plugging everything that has any contact with the theremin into the same power bar."

I have computer/monitor from one wall socket, and then (wait for it): electric drums, mixer, theremin, electric piano, phone charger, hard drive from another splitter - although I turn on/off as required.

http://keaneshaped.co.uk/mp3s/thereminhum.mp3 < that's what I hear - the fade to silence is when I move my hand towards the volume bar, suggesting it's coming from the instrument.

* Coalport - "Chris, exactly what do you mean by "linear" and "non-linear"?"

My primitive understanding is that the Etherwave Pro has 'good' linearity, whereby the interval of an octave is X cms, both at high pitch and low pitch. 'Weak' linearity would mean the gaps between intervals are greater at the lower end, but get closer the higher the pitch.
So my logic as a violinist/guitarist goes that I'm used to the physical intervals being different, so non-linearity makes perfect sense. Therefore I wouldn't want a Etherwave Pro as the spacing would be counter-inituitive(...?) Am I barking up the wrong tree completely here? Is linearity seen as a good thing, bad thing, or personal thing? (Personally, I'm quite happy with my Etherwave Standard, although I've not tried anything else for any period of time!)

* Coalport - "it is a bit like putting the Rolls Royce "Spirit Of Ecstasy" hood ornament onto your Volkswagen"

Interesting analogy! I see what you're saying, but it wouldn't strictly be an exact replica of any previous instrument, more the general shape and style of the earlier instruments. I love her personality, but wish she'd present herself more like Audrey Hepburn than Lady Gaga...

* Lucita - "The Etherwave manual says to let it warm up for about 10 minutes for the oscillators to stabilize. Mine needs about 10 minutes or else the sensing distance changes rapidly during that time."

Ah yes, the manual. I've downloaded it once (it didn't come with my 2nd hand instrument from ebay), but I must read that again! I definitely noticed some change in the first few minutes.

* Thereminstrel - thanks for your recommendation of the Wavefront Classic - you make it sound very appealing!

In my opinion, it's got 'the look', and the tone is great - I love that deep brooding sound. Brass/string sounds good to me! Many thanks for your YouTube compilation of Wavefronts also.
How does the linearity and feel compare to the Etherwave Standard - would I be lost and have to re-learn what little I've picked up? Are people generally in agreement with Etherspiel?

Also, how much of a DIY job is it to convert it to a lefty? (I am the least practical person in the world. After my dad). Does it require cutting/drilling, or just unscrewing?
Posted: 7/23/2009 5:18:38 PM
ChrisFlynn

Thereminstrel - I've just realised after taking another look at the photos that my 'left handed DIY' question is actually pretty dumb - is the other part of the volume bar on this picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigthirstytowels/3198251103/in/set-72157612081275197 not actually fixed to the cabinet, but hanging free? In that case, I can see it being pretty simple(!) from the outside. Are the leads fixed or easy to unscrew? (I realllllly hate DIY)

I'm today wondering what the best Etherwave Standard Waveform/Brightness settings to get closest to the Wavefront classic sound are...
Posted: 7/23/2009 7:31:15 PM
Thereminstrel

The swapping of the antennas isn't a problem as both fittings are the same where they attach to the cabinet on the outside, and they just sort of screw on and off. However, you'd also need to swap over the two wires leading to the antenna internally from the circuitboard. In theory, this isn't at all difficult ... but because one wire is shorter than the other there isn't an "instant" fix. If I needed to swap the antenna around myself, I'd contact Gene Segal, and ask if he could jig up some little wire extentions which should do the job (he's very helpful). I have unplugged the antenna wires from the circuit board (which is beneath a removable perspex screen) and it was simplicity itself; they just slide on/off the circuitboard. Adding little "extentions" to the wires would be easy ... and if I can do it then anyone can! However, if you ordered a new WFC, this wouldn't be a problem, as you could simply request to have it set up for a left-handed player.

To be fair, opinions on linearity and playability of the WFC differ a little ... which is only to be expected I guess. There's a fairly lengthy thread about the WFC HERE (http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=3908&F=715) which will give you some input from a few WFC owners/players.

My understanding of "good linearity" seems similar to yours; notes spaced equally / octaves of equal size etc (I always thought linearity a slightly odd word for this, but I can't think of a better one!) My understanding of a non-linear theremin is slightly different; yes, notes are closer together the higher you get (in the highest octaves), but also can get closer together the lower you get (in the lowest octaves) ... at least that's how I've understood it, but I'd be happy for someone with more expertise to either confirm or negate this!

When playing the E-Pro, the notes seem equally spaced right up to the antenna. The WFC seems go an octave higher than the E-Standard. The central octaves (and, to my mind, the lower octaves) seem nearly as evenly spaced as the E-pro .. although not quite! The highest 1.5 - 2 octaves DO get narrower and the notes closer together; for my taste, the highest octave is too high for general playing and I rarely go there. By-the-way, there's no reversed note field beyond the zero-beat zone - so, when it's tuned for playing I can walk right up to it without triggering any sudden loud noises.

Would you find it difficult to adapt to a WFC from an E-Standard? After a year of learning, I don't think so; you're likely secure enough to make the adjustments without it undermining your confidence. I learned on an E-Standard for about the first nine months. It took me a while to adapt to the E-Pro - but I don't think it would have taken so long to adapt to a WFC because, to my mind, it sits somewhere between the two. Had I got the WFC first I doubt I'd have got the E-Pro ... although I'm very glad I did. Whenever I swap between theremins, it often takes me about twenty minutes or so to adjust; a more experienced player, or one using pitch-preview, may well be able to shift between theremins with no discernable adjustment period ... but not me, not yet!

As for E-Standard waveform/brightness settings that come closest to the WFC ... I'll try to find some time over the weekend to set both theremins up and make some direct comparisons. I'll get back to you! I don't think there'll be anything sounding quite the same on both. On the WFC I can set it to sound very stringlike, like a mellow muted cornet, or something approaching the more traditional sound of Clara Rockmore's theremin; I can't seem to get anything as voice-like or flute-like as the E-Pro. The E-Pro's string settings don't seem as stringlike or mellow as the WFC, and I can't get the muted brass sound I like ... so I find they compliment each other nicely.

I'll just add that I also like to let my theremins "warm up" for a good ten minutes before playing. Perhaps it isn't

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.