downloading on USB key and/or CD

Posted: 3/6/2010 12:50:25 AM
callmemario1

I found many accompaniment music that I would like to save from YouTube so that I may save on a USB keyor CD and play on my stereo which has a USB port. Playing solo without accompaniment is kind of dull. Is there a way to do this?. If so, HOW??!. (I would ONLY use this music for my own personal enjoyment).

Please help me out.

Thank you.

Mario
Posted: 3/6/2010 3:45:18 PM
Thierry

If you use the firefox browser, a plugin named "DownloadHelper" will allow you to save the YouTube video on your hard disk in a first step. In a second step you may extract the audio track as a mp3 file with a command line tool called "ffmpeg". Both tools work under Windows and Linux.

That's how I created a ring tone for my cell phone from Celia Sheen's "Midsumer murders" rendition... ;-)
Posted: 3/6/2010 4:15:04 PM
GordonC

If you are using the Safari browser on a Mac (*) you can download it by double clicking on the file in the Activity window. (Alt-Command-A)

If you append [b]&fmt=18[/b] to the youtube url (i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zfRSuUS92E&fmt=18) you will get a .mp4 file. Otherwise you will get a .flv file.

There is probably a free way to extract the audio from either file type (**), but as I have quicktime pro I use that to separate audio and video content in mp4s.

(*) It might also work on Windows. I have not tried it.

(**) Thinking about it, Audio Hijack Pro (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/audiohijackpro/) can rip the audio out of anything by recording from the stream sent to the loudspeakers, and is free for recordings less than ten minutes long.
Posted: 3/6/2010 10:01:19 PM
callmemario1

"Dang", you guys are pros and have been a great help!! It's just that I was getting kinda fed up to move my amp and theremin close to my computer so that I could play the tunes I liked...
I'll look into it and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks! :-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.