Roll Call! - 2010!

Posted: 7/26/2010 12:00:00 AM
Jason

Welcome new members! Please use this thread to introduce yourself to our other members. Thanks for joining, and we're looking forward to getting to know you!
Posted: 7/27/2010 1:24:20 AM
Hippie403

Hi I'm Greg O'Sullivan. I live in Melbourne Australia.
My music background is mainly self taught keyboards,
starting with an old reed organ someone donated to the
family when I was a kid, progressing on to analogue synthesizers
in the 80s, regressing to digital synthesizers / MIDI / computers
more recently.

Thank you to all the Theremin World members who gave me useful
advice on what type of theremin to start out with.

My Moog Etherwave plus purchased from an Ebay vendor arrived promptly and
in good condition. The 110V power supply works fine via a stepdown
transformer and at least it is earthed, unlike the Moog 220V power supply.
I think I got a reasonable deal for $345 USD.

My inital impression is that strangely, the pitch field seems less
sensitive that I thought it would be. Down the bass end notes seem
too far apart to play with just knuckle movements, full finger movements
and extensions seem to be required or actual arm movements.
Maybe I have the pitch field cranked out too wide because I have
fairly long arms? Vibrato seems to need fairly exaggerated movements too.
I've been playing sitting on a wooden stool with the Etherwave on a
wooden table with the volume antenna hanging over the edge, maybe I
should try it on a mike stand and play standing?

Early indications are I'm NOT going to be a natural at this.
I don't rate my chances that high of becoming a proficient theremin player,
but then again at one time I would have never imagined I could make a
500km flight in a sailplane.
I managed that by sticking with it because it was something I wanted
to achieve.

Posted: 7/27/2010 6:40:07 AM
coalport

The late Clara Rockmore, when she was asked what the most important quality was for any newcomer to the theremin, replied:

"First, HAVE MUSIC IN YOUR SOUL. If you have that, then you will find a way to do it."

The next thing Clara said in the same interview was, "Don't expect it to happen over night".

Posted: 7/27/2010 12:29:57 PM
sintec

Heh,

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks taking in the wisdom of others and felt it's about time to introduce myself. I'm a musician, DJ and software engineer living in the UK. My first theremin, a Moog Etherwave, is on order from my local music tech store and should be here in a few weeks. (Yeah I know you can get stuff faster and cheaper on the internet but I prefer dealing with other human beings face to face, call me old fashioned).

My musical experiments began as a kid when my parents gained a piano along with their new house. Several years later I took up bass guitar and was introduced to the wonder of tracker programs (specifically OctaMed) by the keyboard player from my high school rock band. Following the inevitible demise of the band I continued to make electronic music on my trusty A1200 (which is still in working order but could do with a new HD) and OctaMed. Over the years I've updated my computer equipment, windows based laptop running Ableton Live, and started trying to perform some of my compositions live under the name Queynte. This began a long term collaborative experiment with fellow DJ and violinist Mz Pink incorporating heavily effected electronic violin over the top of industrial soundscapes and heavy techno rhythms. An album, Sincarnate, was released by UK industrial label InfeKted Sound, who sadly went out of business not long after :( Since then I've got a degree in computer science which has resulted in a better paid job and the band has disintegrated, mainly due to long periods of inactivity and changing priorities. As I now spend the majority of each day staring at a computer screen I've don't particularly want to spend any more hours staring at a screen hence I've decided to purchase a theremin and return my focus to more realtime performance and improvisation than DAW based productions. Hopefully this will spark a new cycle of inspiration, experimentation and learning which will result in some interesting new sounds, maybe even music.
Posted: 7/30/2010 2:50:29 PM
wavicm

Hello - I'm Craig...don't have a theremin yet, but hope to get one soon. I am a working musician, but want to get into other musical areas, and I believe the theremin is the way to go. I am hoping to get an Etherwave Plus - I like the headphone jack, as well as the CV controller option - hope I can hook it up to my old Juno synths. I am a lefty, and will probably play that way, based on mentally "playing" a theremin. I know it isn't ideal, but I am not ready to splurge on a lefty model just yet. Looking forward to the adventure.
Posted: 8/2/2010 3:41:05 PM
vespandy

Hi, my name is Andy and I live in Denmark. I just bought an Etherwave Standard last week. This is my first electronic instrument. I come from a musical family, with several full-time musicians, but never played much myself.

As a teenager I played the Scottish bagpipe. That is almost 25 years ago. Then I took a long break from music until three years ago, when I decided to start again.

I chose diatonic harmonica this time because of the size, then quickly moved on to chromatic harmonica as I really needed to accidentals, and finally to piano because of the limitations of the harmonica. A very short period with the violin almost had me give up music again.

Many years ago I was introduced to the theremin by an uncle, and loved the sound and handling of the instrument. For many years I wanted one, and finally decided that I could afford it. I love the way it fills the room. Much the same way a bagpipe does, and a way that a piano never can.

/Andy
Posted: 8/2/2010 4:15:46 PM
coalport

Craig wrote:

I am a lefty, and will probably play that way, based on mentally "playing" a theremin. I know it isn't ideal, but I am not ready to splurge on a lefty model just yet.......

Thereminists should always use the arm/hand that has the most dexterity for the most difficult task, and with the theremin that is unquestionably pitch control. Lots of lefty thereminists play quite happily on right-handed instruments simply by turning them around.

What are you hoping to do with your Juno synths if you are ultimately able to hook them up to an E'Pro theremin?
Posted: 8/3/2010 10:26:45 PM
wavicm

not really sure - like i say, looking forward to the adventure. In particular, I was hoping my Juno 106 would come in handy somehow. It was from the analog/digital crossover period in the 80's, so it's fully analog, yet has MIDI outs. Hope that could lead to some fun. Musically - my day job is very structured, so I am interested in some soundscapes ala Eno, but I know my organizational tendencies will kick in.

I do know being a lefty thereminist isn't a huge deal, but aesthetically it's a bit of a drag. And BTW, looking for a Plus, not a Pro, although the latter would sure be sweet... :-)
Posted: 8/12/2010 1:47:10 AM
lexiboo

I started playing the theremin in April, and I absolutely love it! I played the violin for over 8 years, but I ultimately quit due to hand pain. Fortunately I experience no such pain with the theremin. That in itself makes it a joy to play! I have a Moog Etherwave Standard. My dream is to one day have an Etherwave Pro, but that looks very unlikely. :)
Posted: 8/23/2010 9:04:28 PM
Emily30075

Hi everyone. I'm as new to the theremin as they come. Mine is on its way as a birthday present. I don't play another instrument-- this will be my first since the recorder in 4th grade. I've wanted a theremin since the first time I saw one and I'll finally be living my dream in a few days.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.