Newbie with some questions.

Posted: 1/2/2011 10:39:04 AM
Dave85

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a Theremin, but in Australia they are quite expensive so I'd like to find out if I will be able to get what I want out of it before buying one.

Essentially I'm looking to provide textural noise and simple melodies underneath a heavy musical background.

Firstly how does the Theremin go with effects pedals? From the limited info I've been able to get I get the impression the output is quite hot and can blow equipment designed for use with a guitar/bass.

Secondly, how flexible is the range on the Theremin? I'm hoping to use it live eventually, but I wonder if the movement on stage (the venues we play are quite small) will adversely affect playing.

In advance, thanks for any advice you can give.

Dave.
Posted: 1/2/2011 5:20:55 PM
GordonC

Hi Dave,

Range: A couple of metres of clear space around the instrument would be good - certainly no-one moving around within that area.

Effects: The moog etherwave theremin is hot, and lacks an output attenuation knob. (Saying "volume" would cause confusion, as it already has a knob for adjusting the capacitive field around the volume loop called "volume".)

You are unlikely to damage an effect pedal, but some pedals will give you undesirable distortion (as opposed to the good sort) or otherwise misbehave.

If you can wield a soldering iron there is a simple one resistor mod to give it a guitar level output. With a little electronics knowledge or the guidance of one of Theremin World's boffins it should be possible to substitute the resistor with a potentiometer, which will give you the flexibility to run any particular effects chain optimally.

Or a low impedance inline volume treadle would do the trick. A cheap one would do fine - you would not have any particular reason to adjust it during a performance, so it can crackle a little when moved. I had this solution for a while until I had an output attenuation knob fitted (along with a bunch of other stuff) by Thierry Frenkel who hangs out here.

The main annoyance with effects - I use them a lot - is that they are not designed for theremins. Mostly they're designed for electric guitars, and you can't get much different than that, sonically speaking. Knowing how an effect will sound with a guitar gives no indication whatsoever how they will sound with a theremin, and samples of theremin + effect are harder to find than rocking horse manure.

Many of the tracks I have posted on youTube have a note in the info about the effects used and I can remember the chain for all of them. http://youtube.com/gordoncharlton
Posted: 1/2/2011 7:33:21 PM
Dave85

Thanks Gordon, I'll check out your YouTube videos.

As far as the resistor mod I was reading about am hesitant as I'm not very experienced with electronics (I've done the occasional bit of soldering on a guitar), is a difficult mod?
Posted: 1/2/2011 10:35:17 PM
GordonC

Page 9 here:
http://www.moogmusic.com/manuals/HotRodEtherwav.pdf

"[i]To reduce the Etherwave's audio output level so that it will not overload the input of a guitar amplifier, remove R33 (4.7K resistor) and replace it with a 47K resistor. Figure 4 shows the location of R33.[/i]"

Figure 4 is on page 5.
Posted: 1/3/2011 7:40:11 AM
coalport

You don't have to hot-rod your Etherwave or modify it in any way to change the output. All you need is an attenuator. LEEM makes an excellent little filter direct box, FDR-60. I got one of these babies and liked it so much I bought 4 of them.

$59.00 including GST from b Music in Gawler, S.A.

Leem FDR-60 (http://www.bmusic.com.au/prod939.htm)
Posted: 1/3/2011 8:17:07 AM
GordonC

Resistor (plus seven spares) - 46 cents from Jaycar. 45 A'Beckett Street, Melbourne

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RR0540
Posted: 1/3/2011 9:14:46 PM
coalport

The advantage of using a peripheral is that you don't have to modify your instrument. If you ever want the higher output, you just flip a switch on the attenuator. In fact, the LEEM has three settings (three degrees of attenuation AND a ground lift).
Posted: 1/3/2011 9:20:08 PM
Dave85

Thanks coalport, I was hoping there would be a way without modding the instrument, as I said I'm not very experienced with electronics and don't want to blow the circuitry.
Posted: 1/4/2011 6:08:26 AM
randulph

Hi there and a happy New Year,

I'm Ralph from germany and encountered similar problems especially with a digital delay. I bought a stomp box for about 40 EUR, which works fine (and looks good).
It's the Electro Harmonix Signal Pad (Passive Attenuator) (http://www.ehx.com/products/signal-pad).
Maybe you want to give it a try.

Greetings, Ralph

P.S. No, I'm not connected to EHX in any other way ;-)

Posted: 6/2/2011 6:39:29 AM
The-Thereminator

hi im planning on buying a theremin in the coming days and the best choice for me seems to be a burns b3 delux but i dont know anything bout how it plays and i can really find a good review can anyone help?for 200 dollars is that good and is der any other theremin that would be around the same price but better?

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.