recording theremin to computer

Posted: 1/24/2011 11:39:56 AM
aspidistra

Greetings!
I just got a Moog Etherwave last week, and I would like to record sounds/riffs to process them in Mixcraft 4 software (for PC.)

In the Mixcraft tutorial, the instructor records directly to the computer using a Firebox Firewire audio interface. However, this device is prohibitively expensive for me.

Does anyone have any (low-cost) suggestions how to record theremin directly to the computer?

Thank you!!

Best,
Beverly.
Posted: 1/24/2011 12:47:08 PM
Jeff S

You don't need anything that fancy just to record your theremin to computer. As long as you have a BLUE Line-IN jack on you computer, you'll be OK.

Unfortunately, you didn't say if you are using a desktop or laptop computer. Many laptops apparently don't have a Line-IN jack.

You'll need to go to an electronics supply store - Radio Shack will suffice. You need a set of cables/adapters to go from a 1/4" mono phone jack to a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo plug. Ask for help if you're not sure what to do.

Another option may be an 'instrument to USB' cable that have become available at many music stores and department stores that carry instruments. I'm pretty sure Best Buy does. They can also be ordered online. I've never used one, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to set it as the input recording device in the 'Sounds...' settings in the Windows Control Panel. You may need to do the same in the recording software you choose to use. Windows also has a very basic, default recorder.
Posted: 1/24/2011 7:49:06 PM
aspidistra

Thank you! I greatly appreciate your help.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.