Roll Call! - 2011!

Posted: 10/24/2011 1:24:55 AM
Ahmed Ramadan

Hello there, Ahmed from down under is getting hooked with the theremin,never played it, waiting for the parcel still, but I feel so attached, if that makes sense.A JOURNEY IS ABOUT TO BEGIN.
Posted: 12/22/2011 10:06:46 PM
mollydad

Hello Everybody!  My name is John and I'm from Nashville TN, USA.  I work in a research lab at Vanderbilt University in Nashville as a research assistant to pay my bills, but in my heart I'm a musician.  I'm a single reed doubler, which means I play clarinet, flute and saxophone.  I've played in a wedding reception/ party band as a sax sideman, and I play clarinet in a community orchestra at Trevecca Nazarene University for the chance to do some of the classic orchestra literature.

I was waiting for an order to upload at work one day last October, and for some reason checked out the history of Billy Strayhorn's song Lush Life on Wikipedia, and there I saw that this had been performed by Pamelia Kurstin on theremin on a TED talks from 2002.  I watched the entire YouTube clip, and was blown away  not only by Pamelia's performance of Lush Life, but also by her "walking bass" technique on Autumn Leaves on the same clip.  I decided then and there that I had to have a theremin.

I ordered a Moog Etherwave Plus from Sam Ash Music in Nashville, with the explicit understanding that this was a non-refundable purchase....that was just fine with me..

When the theremin arrived, I asked to try out some guitar amps as practice amps, and EVERY salesman in the store came to see it and wanted to play around on it.... I obliged them, but I understood why they wouldn't want a theremin out for beginners to fool around on in their workplace every day...

The bottom line is that all I want to do in my spare time right now is to practice the theremin...I've come a long way in a short time, but I am by no means ready for public performance. 

I just ordered an ESPE01 module for my theremin, with the hope that it will extend the bass range and linearity as claimed.  I noticed that the ESPE01 creator, Thierry Frenkel is now a technical consultant for this site....I hope he can help if I have some issues with the installation once it arrives...

I really hope I get to meet some of you someday, because I feel that in some ways we must be kindred spirits...jcn

Posted: 12/22/2011 11:24:57 PM
Jason

Welcome!  You're actually in the birthplace of Theremin World!  I started it from my student account when I was in the School of Engineering there, back around 1996.  Careful, once the theremin gets you, there's no turning back :)

I haven't been to Nashville in ages.  There are some other theremin players in the area though.  Check out http://www.shuehli.com/ for one.

Cheers!

Jason

Posted: 12/25/2011 11:54:56 PM
Reid Welch

I am Reid, a.k.a. "Mr. Trubble", the nickname Peter Pringle gave to me.

I miss you, Jason. You are a most wonderful person.

Posted: 12/26/2011 1:28:15 AM
Jason

Reid!!  Welcome back!  How the heck are you?  I hope we'll see more of you around here now.  It's been WAY too long!  Catch us up - what have you been up to?

Posted: 12/26/2011 2:12:40 AM
RS Theremin

Hello Mr. Trubble,

I have followed some of your theremin research and admire your openness to reveal your discoveries’. Here in the states we do share most things while elsewhere theremin design seems to be secret? Original and raw theremin researchers like you are rare and I hope you remain active amongst us.  Hopefully 2012 will be a new year of reawakening for all to enjoy.

Christopher

Posted: 12/26/2011 11:40:55 AM
coalport

Hi there Trubb!

Great to see you here on Theremin World. I just want to say how much I enjoyed your recent video of the work you did for the restoration of the Columbia graphophone. It's a bit off topic for this forum but I think there are alot of T.W.ers who would enjoy this if they haven't already seen it. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPUoI32SGDM

Posted: 1/8/2012 6:47:10 PM
Lawrence Kaster

The sound of my PAiA-based instrument is complex and always changing. Part of the unique quality of the instrument is a tube pre-amp and spring reverb.

I play a variety of keyboard Vst instruments for accompaniment. I also play a variety of bamboo flutes that I make myself, often from material aged by the action of waves and weather.

My CDs Thick As Steel , OKAPI  and CICADA can be found on CD Baby, Amazon, and many digital download sites. My newest CD is BIG KOTO .  Some tracks are available as downloadable files on Soundcloud, and Bandcamp.  The CD itself is available from my website http://lpkaster.com and from Kunaki.

I am also on Facebook and Twitter. Please visit me when you have some time, as I am a visual artist with a lot of images to share. I have a wide representation in many galleries and corporate collections. Comments are always welcome. 

Posted: 1/9/2012 6:09:14 AM
RS Theremin

Hello Lawrence Kaster,

Do you still play the didjeridu? Its been several years and I see your webpage and art are still evolving. I often have my theremin just droning a quiet low frequency in the background which seems to help my creativity. I look forward to exploring your webpages further with its artistic expressions and listen to your music.

Christopher - oldtemecula

Posted: 1/26/2012 4:48:55 AM
Lawrence Kaster

Hi Christopher!  (I didn't see this post until today, just by chance.)

Yes! I still play didj, in fact have included some didj with "Lake Dance"
 http://snd.sc/zpvFJD
and several other tracks.  I also have been making flutes from spalted bamboo.  (Why?  Because I don't have to wait for it to age, and the sound is marvellous.) Now I need to work on microphone recordings, as my studio is not much for acoustics.

It's great to reconnect with you, and I hope your health has improved.  Thanks for your help and encouragement in the past and do stay in touch. 

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.