Newbie :)

Posted: 8/1/2011 12:01:25 AM
AmberN

Hi my name is Amber and I'm new here. I'm waiting for my theremin to get here. I've never played one before but I play by ear first and have been playing instruments since I was 4. I play piano first but I've also played the erhu, trumpet, cello, guitar, bass clarinet, clarinet, flute, and a few others in between :) I was wondering if this was the type of power supply I'd be needing for the B3 Deluxe Theremin http://www.entomon.net/ac-adapter-110-volt-power-source.shtml I'm so excited and can't wait to start playing! I thought I was going to have to wait until next year when we got taxes back but we ended up being able to get one now. Thanks for any help or advice!
Posted: 8/1/2011 3:17:07 PM
Chainsaw Willie!

From: Just a short walk away from Nike Missile Site S-13/14

How did you end up needing a power supply? Did you buy your B3 used without a supply? The new ones come with the correct supply.

I believe the Burns B3 comes with a 12 VDC supply and can operate on anything in the 12 to 18 volt DC range.
Posted: 8/1/2011 10:40:12 PM
AmberN

Oh thank you! I just reread the description and it does have one. I think I just got confused looking over the part about needing an amp and everything.
Posted: 8/1/2011 11:05:31 PM
Chainsaw Willie!

Yeah, if you just bought it new then you get the power supply with it.

Stuff you will need is:

a 1/4 inch phono patch cord, the same as an electric guitar would use.

An amplifier, many options here, many use guitar amps, some keyboard amps, some powered PA speakers... Search the site for threads about amplifiers.

And not required, but really nice, a microphone stand, or some other such thing to hold the Theremin so you can play standing up instead of sitting with it on a table.

Posted: 8/1/2011 11:05:36 PM
Chainsaw Willie!

Double post

Posted: 8/1/2011 11:14:04 PM
Jeff S

UH...I believe that would be a cable with (TS = tip, sleeve) PHONE plugs, not phono plugs. They are also known as instrument cables.
Posted: 8/20/2011 12:12:19 AM
AmberN

Got my theremin about a week and a half ago and got my amp and everything all set up! Then I found out that my dog freaks OUT when I play it :/ So I got a headphone jack adaptor and now he just looks at me funny while I play around with it :) I've noticed too that I play better while I have the headset in but I know that's not a good way to learn to play since I wouldn't be performing while wearing headphones. Have you guys noticed a major difference while wearing headphones?
Posted: 8/20/2011 7:42:43 PM
Thierry

Playing with headphones instead of connecting your theremin to an amplifier makes a huge difference in most cases.

The pitch field will be completely different for two major reasons:
a) The theremin will be better grounded when connected to an amplifier (if it's not a battery powered one), which gives a more stable and at the same time more sensitive pitch response.

b) The headphone cable is a virtually grounded object in your pitch field and will add parasitic capacitance and make the instrument more sensitive to the movements of your body.

Conclusion: If you have to play with headphones, make sure that your theremin is well grounded by other means. And put your headphones on in a way that the cable is behind your back which minimizes the influence of the headphone cable onto the pitch field.

And there is the musical-technical aspect: A headphone allows a very short time delay between tone generation and your hearing and eventual corrections of the pitch. This is basically fine. But when you are used to play with headphones and decide one day to play through an amp and a speaker, you will be horribly off key at the beginning, since the time constant of your cybernetic loop is different. If you want to perform one day in public, it is better to practice with an amp and a speaker. You should set up the speaker at about ear height behind you (see Clara Rockmore's diamond speaker), so that you hear the sound with a short time delay and may correct it before it reaches the audition.
Posted: 8/21/2011 8:34:35 AM
Thomas Grillo

Hello AmberN

One other thing to try for your dog's sake, is to use the following settings on your amp, which I use for the B3s.

Amp volume to only a 2 or 3.

Set highs (trebble) to minimum, 2 or so.
Set Mids to half way, about 5 or 6.
Set Bass (lows) to full.

Turn off distortion, and set gain down a good bit.

As Thierry said, put your amp (if small enough) on a shelf, or table behind you, and if possible at or near head level.
Posted: 8/23/2011 11:35:45 PM
AmberN

Thank you guys :) I'll try those out.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.