Jaycar's Kit Theremins

Posted: 8/25/2005 9:31:08 AM
katherine

I've been looking at getting one as a starter theremin ... what do you guys think about these? How's the sound? Of course I don't expect that it'll sound anywhere like a Moog Etherwave, but do the Jaycar theremin's, well, sound at all musical?

Would love some opinions ... :)
Posted: 8/25/2005 10:20:10 AM
Jason

I haven't played one myself, but some people really like them. Kees Enkelaar uses them as the basis for his theremin (with modifications).

There are some resources for making mods to the Jaycar to improve sound and playability on our schematics page (http://www.thereminworld.com/schematics.asp). For the price, it's a pretty attractive deal for a 1st theremin.
Posted: 8/30/2005 7:49:12 AM
katherine

Thanks!

Another question : how tricky are the kitsets? Are they the sort of thing that an amateur like me could make? I'm wondering whether to get one or a ready-made. I don't have much experience with electronics, but I pick up things like that well.
Posted: 8/30/2005 10:42:53 AM
Jason

I haven't build the Jaycar/SC (http://www.thereminworld.com/theremins.asp?m=21&t=23) theremin myself, but my impression is that you do get to do a fair amount of soldering. Anyone with a Jaycar want to share their experiences?

The Etherwave kit (http://www.thereminworld.com/theremins.asp?m=1&t=5) is requires very little actual soldering. The main board is already built and tuned, and your job is to basically connect the front panel knobs and finish the cabinet.

The PAiA Theremax (http://www.thereminworld.com/theremins.asp?m=2&t=3) is a bit more involved. You get to solder every component onto an empty board and finish the cabinet. I enjoyed building my Theremax, but there is more time & effort involved than in building the Etherwave.
Posted: 8/31/2005 11:32:39 AM
MikeO

Katherine I've bought and buildt a silicon chip theremin (actually several) and I strongly suggest you to buy just the kit and not the complete one.

Why? Because you can't modify the built one, and the SC theremin with no modification is almost impossible to play! It's just for wired sounds... it's a toy, not an instrument to play.

With maxies modification, instead, you can have a cheap instrument to play all your tunes. Offcourse an etherwave is better, but it costs way too much respect to the SC kit!

So, go for the kit, it is not that difficult to assemble, you just need a solder iron and 3-4 hours of patience!

See ya
Posted: 9/1/2005 9:45:55 AM
Jason

Good point - thanks for the perspective from experience!
Posted: 9/17/2005 9:21:41 AM
ThereminKid

Build it! I have for my school project and I'm currently doing the mods which haven't been too hard :).

If you have any futher questions, post 'em right here!
Posted: 9/17/2005 7:59:45 PM
katherine

Sorry about my ignorance ... What kind of mods can you make to it? Is this info with the kit, or have you guys made moderations from info online?
Thanks!
Posted: 9/17/2005 11:09:32 PM
RS Theremin

Hello Everyone,

“Of course I don't expect that it'll sound anywhere like a Moog Etherwave, but do the Jaycar theremin's, well, sound at all musical?

Would love some opinions ... :)”

The Jaycar Theremin is an excellent electronic construction project; a true theremin voice yet lacks the ability to control it as a musical instrument. It will generate a nice theremin sine wave sweep and sci-fi sounds. I have never found anyone that published something with controlled musical notes generated from it.

I do wish someone would publish a musical Mp3 sample using this theremin design.

Maxies modifications are a must.

Christopher
Posted: 1/24/2006 7:22:19 PM
DaddyDom

Hi Katherine, I have no experience with the Jaycar, but I've seen it on TradeMe. BUT - I have to say, don't be put off assembling your own Etherwave! It is so easy - there is NO electronic assembly, just screwing a few things together and a few solder-points. The instructions are so clear, it's almost too easy - if I can do it, you can build an Etherwave. Plus, it's more satisfying and the value is very, very good. I ordered one from the US for about $NZ500 converted against $NZ900 for a built one. Go on!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.