silicone chip theremin - need a helping hand

Posted: 2/22/2006 3:20:32 PM
jimbob

Hi guys

I play drums in a band and thought, after hearing the beach boys' good vibes(now know that its not actually a theremin) that I'd like to get one. I bought one from theremin kits.com and just as it says in max's tutorial that the tuning is rather difficult and I can get my +5.6 volts on between pin 1 and any of T1-4 but I cant adjust VR2 because I've got one "stick" (i think its a technical term)of the voltmeter on pin 1 of IC2 but I dont know where to put the other one.

Im so close to finishing because I can hear the ociliators when I put my hand near them. Oh by the way I'm not an electriction so I'm gonna need it spelled out, this is my first kit too.

any help is mucho appritiatio
cheers guys
Pete (jim bob)
Posted: 2/26/2006 1:31:51 PM
jimbob

ok so ive got that figured but i cant get the 4.3V at pin 1 of ic2 and VR2 doesnt seem to have any effect, i have checked and checked my soldering i cant see any mistakes. does anyone what is going on?
Posted: 2/26/2006 2:39:07 PM
kkissinger

Jimbob,

I'm not familiar with the make of Theremin you are building. There are a few questions though...

when you are measuring the voltage, are you getting zero volts or some voltage. If it is zero volts then you want to make sure the power supply is producing voltage. If the power supply is producing voltage, then trace from the 4.3 volt source to the IC and see if you can identify the an "open" circuit.

The other possibility is that you have a short that is drawing down the voltage. For starters, check to see if any parts are heating up. Also, make sure that you haven't created any solder bridges on your circuit board.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.