Theremin frequency range

Posted: 6/8/2006 8:30:02 PM
martincactus

Hi all,

I am currently thinking about doing a digital theremin and I just wanted to know if any of you know what is the minimum and maximum frequency that a standard theremin will do?

Thanks!
Posted: 6/8/2006 8:52:11 PM
kkissinger

[i]You said digital Theremin and I jumped in discussing MIDI. I'll go ahead and keep the post as-is since it may answer some questions for you.[/i]

Hi!

Most Theremins have a very wide frequency range spanning over six octaves.

However, there is the "frequency range" and then there is the "playable range" of frequencies.

On a top-of-the-line Theremin, such as an Etherwave Pro, the linearity of the pitch antenna allows playability across nearly a five octave range. A range switch on the Epro allows octave transpositions +/- one octave rendering a seven octave range.

At the high end (near the antenna) the antenna sensitivity increases such that the notes are too close together for precision playing -- at the far end the sensitivity tends to decrease.

Most Theremins have around a 3 1/2 octave minimum playable range.

One of the issues with MIDI is the choice of using CC events for the pitch or to quantize the pitch response into discreet note-on events.

I have wondered if it is possible to implement linearity in software by mapping the values from a non-linear antenna to linear output values.

There is much interest in MIDI theremins although, other than the Ethervox (no longer manufactured) I haven't seen great reviews for other MIDI theremins. If you can implement a MIDI theremin that is flexible and usable for precision playing as well as sound-effects, you will likely generate interest in such a product.

As for me, I'm considering just ordering a Paia MIDI brain (CV to MIDI converter) and using the CV outs from my Theremins to drive the MIDI brain.

Good luck to you.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.