building a theremin from scratch (possibly more than one), looking for etherwave info

Posted: 10/17/2006 2:51:02 PM
birt

i've just spend several hours browsing and reading this forum and i got a lot of questions answered already. but i've got some more...

i spend most of my free time building guitar amps and effects and i have this fascination for the not-so-common instruments. so i was destined to build a theremin one day.
a couple of days ago after some research i threw together my first one, an Arthur Harrison minimum theremin. no kit ofcourse.

i liked it but i really really want to build one with a volume antenna too. and better tone. basicly a good instrument (and possibly with lots of hotrodding and mods)

i can't decide wether to build the theremax or the etherwave.. or Harrisons tube theremin... i know now i'll probably build all three of them some time. i wanted to start with the etherwave but i ran into some problems.

i am looking for someone with an etherwave because the only thing i'm missing is a PCB lay-out. so if someone can make some detailed pictures or scans of the etherwave PCB i would be very very delighted!

also i'd like to know the dimensions of etherwave and theremac enclosures, antennae and how far the antennae are placed from each other, will the volume antenna be affected if you move your hand close to the pitch antenna or the other way around? i'll definatly use rod and loop antennae, even if i decide to build the tube theremin wich is designed to have plate antennae.

thanks in advance,
Bert
Posted: 11/6/2006 8:59:07 AM
birt

come on there's nobody who can scan the etherwave PCB or has a ruler to measure some stuff?
Posted: 11/6/2006 11:26:06 AM
TomFarrell

I don't know about everyone else, but it's not that I can't, it's that the Etherwave is Moog's unquestionably copyrighted, potentially patented design, and I'm not about to violate their rights by creating and publishing instructions on how to copy it.

There was an old article Bob Moog published about how to make an early version of the Etherwave, I believe it was sometime in the 90's. You might be able to find that online. Making it from that should be legal.
Posted: 11/6/2006 6:53:51 PM
birt

making one for my own use isn't ilegal. making more for other people is. writing moog on it and sell it is.
instructions on how to build it are everywhere because of their kits. the only thing you can't find is the PCB lay-out. i could make my own but it wouldn't be half as good and it's easier to try and mod the hell out of it when you have a good lay-out.
Posted: 4/18/2007 8:34:03 PM
Harliquin74

News Flash for all of you who are unaware Moogmusic is no longer making the Etherwave Pro.
So sence they no longer sell it I do not see how it could be a copyright infringement to post a pic of the PCB.
Posted: 4/18/2007 9:33:47 PM
Brian R

Ummm, guess what, folks: The mere fact of a manufacturer taking a product off the market does NOT magically cause the intellectual-property rights to expire.

Posted: 4/18/2007 11:17:49 PM
vonbuck

Also, I think Brits talking about an etherwave standard, not a Pro. A Pro is another keattle of fish

Andy
Posted: 4/19/2007 2:10:36 AM
TomFarrell

Newsflash for Harlequin74: Copyright expires about 80 years after the creator's death. Since Bob Moog died a year or so ago, that means you've only got about 79 years to wait before it's legal to post detailed pictures of the guts of his creations, like the Etherwave Pro...
Posted: 4/19/2007 8:36:10 AM
GordonC

Also, the ePro is not so much discontinued as having its case redesigned - as reported here (http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=2445&F=1). (First posting, last few paragraphs.)

Welcome to Theremin World, Harlequin74.
Posted: 4/19/2007 8:53:44 AM
DiggyDog

Birt,

I am not a fan of copyright infringment either but I also know that improvements are often made by copying and then modifying existing designs.

Maybe you could get an Etherwave kit.

That way the patent holder would get some compensation and you would have all of the components to examine, measure, reproduce, etc.

You could then sell the kit on Ebay to recoup some, if not all, of the monehy spent on it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.