theremax kit/antennae attachment question

Posted: 11/15/2006 12:54:25 PM
janellemoo

I bought the paia theremax kit, without antennae or case and have a few questions. I have completed most circuit board soldering and am designing an acrylic case, as I want the circuit board to be visible after it's encased.

I'm wondering how exactly the antennae connect to the case, also if the 3/8" solid brass antennae is the best bet, and then if anyone has suggestions on better antennaes.

Fortunately, I am a University student with access to laser cutting tools and a metals shop, so bending an antennae will not be a problem.

Thanks
Posted: 11/15/2006 3:45:35 PM
buddycraigg

i'll try to help.
i have to assume the etherwave is put together kind of the same.
it uses a pipe to 3/8 compression fitting.
the pipe thread end is screwed in to the case and the antenna is held in place by the compression ring.

[img]http://www.grainger.com/images/products/2P240.JPG[/img]

there is a hole that is drilled and tapped on the pipe thread end.
and grounding lug is attached to the fitting with a screw. and then the antenna wire is soldered to the lug.

you can see some pics here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58358384@N00/sets/72157594372394921/
look in the bottom two or three rows of the pics.
Posted: 11/15/2006 7:49:52 PM
janellemoo

buddycraig - thanks - your photos were very helpful.
I shopped for materials today and found many of the parts that I need.

One more question - were the spacers that you used to lift the circuit board off of the base Aluminum? I have had difficulty finding aluminum spacers but rather Zinc seems to be the standard. Any advice would be helpful.
Posted: 11/15/2006 9:57:21 PM
buddycraigg

i dont know what they are made of, they look like standard PC mother board spacers to me
Posted: 11/16/2006 9:17:07 PM
teslatheremin

Hello,
Most reputable hardware stores,(ACE, ACO, True Value, etc.), seel nylon spacers and nylon machine screws, common nuts and cap nuts.
If you are going to ground the Theremax kit by attaching the Theremax circuit board ground lug to a metal plate or foil sheet under the circuit board, then any metal spacer and hardware will work just fine: brass, aluminum, stainless steel, etc..
As far as the antennae go, a larger cylindrical surface area is better, within reason. The pitch antenna I use on my Theremax is .5 inches in diameter. It has really made a big difference over the .25 inch antenna I first made. I believe that a larger antenna diameter--- at least on the pitch antenna--- enhances the linear playablity of the Theremax.
Good Luck,
teslatheremin
Posted: 11/16/2006 11:35:11 PM
buddycraigg

so [i]size[/i] really does matter, and i thought it was just a bad joke.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.