Noob question from a newbie

Posted: 2/14/2007 12:22:09 AM
canopus

I'm planning to build a theremin based on the schematic I've seen at, but I have a couple of questions (I have no knowledge of electronics, but I'll have someone helping, but I need just a few tidbits of info)

http://www.thereminworld.com/files/projects/handdrawn/handsch.gif

Firstly, the diodes on the schematics: can I use any type of diode, or is there a specific one I should look for?

And for the coils (apparently those are nasty, so, if you guys may, I'd like you to go into as much detail as you can), how would I go about making them, in terms of material of the wire/number of spires/diameter of the spires, etc? There are a lot of coils, so messing up would be, well, bad.

And, as for an on/off switch, I don't see one there (could be the lack of knowledge, but I don't know), so how would I go about putting one?

Sorry to ask so many questions, and huge thanks to whomever helps.
Posted: 2/17/2007 4:34:15 PM
lowfer

Coils are not nasty, unless they're toroidal and you have to wind 'em yourself :-)
Posted: 2/19/2007 11:04:33 PM
Ardor

This:

http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/ultimate2b/boxwinder.htm

May help with the coils...
Posted: 2/20/2007 8:51:27 AM
DiggyDog

Canopus, I don;t have any help to offer you but if you could keep us posted on your progress we would appreciate it.

There are a few of us who want to "roll their own" but haven't taken that plunge yet.
Posted: 2/20/2007 11:31:26 AM
canopus

Alright, I'll post how it goes, though it will probably take me some time to start, since I'll only have access to materials and stuff by march. I hope I can find some more info on it before I start, since even though I'll have help, it's nice to know as much as possible.

Also, thanks for the link, Ardor.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.