Software Thermin

Posted: 3/19/2007 5:05:26 AM
maxinbjohn

Dear All,

I was really amazed by the Technology behind thermin and of course it's music is really enchanting.
I would like to create a software Thermin which captures the hand movements with the help of a webcam and then reproduces the thermin sound just like a normal thermin does.
I guess, it will be almost similar to the principles of Thermin as it doesn't require the person don't have to touch the "Software Thermin" to play music.
Please do advice me if something is wrong .

Sincerely,
Maxin B. John
Posted: 3/19/2007 5:54:42 AM
Alexander

Hi,

Many such programs already exist:

http://www.thereminworld.com/software.asp

However I do doubt the possibility that webcam technology will provide a reliable, playable Theremin. There are a lot of factors other than proximity detection that make a Theremin playable - these include consistent spacing of frequencies within the detection zone (virtually impossible with a webcam), pleasant timbre, decent pitch range, etc, etc.

There've been a lot of experiments with light sensors and webcams but these are much more unpredictable and harder to control. I think the answer to the software Theremin question probably lies in the infra-red beams currently being used as triggers and modulators on various modern samplers and synths. In fact, since these things are usually just included as a gimmick, it's a wonder to me that these companies aren't producing very cheap and playable digital Theremins. Perhaps they think there's no market. Although considering some of the godawful crap Roland have put on the market of late I'm not all that surprised.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.