Etherwave heat sensitive?

Posted: 9/9/2007 8:09:10 PM
8thman

I'm designing a Theremin enclosure around an Etherwave board, and would like to install a tube amplifier in the unit. I was concerned that perhaps the board would be sensitive to the heat generated by the amp and would cause it to go out of tune. Am I better off with a solid state amp? Thanks.
Posted: 9/10/2007 9:41:27 AM
Alexander

As with any question about electronics, I only know a sort of vague answer to your question - but vaguely "yes" shaped. Environmental factors like humidity and temperature have been known to affect the tuning. If it reaches a constant temperature you might be alright but I don't know.
Posted: 9/10/2007 10:32:50 AM
DiggyDog

My E-Standard is very sensititve to heat.

When it gets hot it loses a lot of its bass range.

I would put the tube amp in its own enclosure.
Posted: 9/10/2007 11:42:48 AM
vonbuck

i'm an idiot when it comes to electronics, however it seems to me any other electronics in the cabinet, that is not directly involved with the actual theremin itself would affect the playability.
Andy
Posted: 10/17/2007 6:35:28 PM
Zsy

If I were you I would go with a solid-state amp, they're much more efficient than tube amps and they won't give off enough heat to affect your other theremin circuitry.

If you do decide to stick with a tube amp you should have it separate from the other sections of the theremin or install a fan and some other cooling device to it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.