Need blueprints of RCA theremin cabinet.

Posted: 1/24/2009 11:04:51 AM
Thomas Grillo

Hi all,

I've spent the last few hours searching for something I had in my grubby little hard drive a while back, and lost (didn't back it up). It's a set of blueprints of the RCA theremin cabinet. It showed the front, side, and top elevations of the instrument.

If someone would kindly direct me to those, I'd appreciate it greatly.

A close friend has offered to build a replica of the RCA cabinet, which I'll be putting an Etherwave kit into.

Thanks in advance.
Posted: 1/24/2009 11:40:36 AM
Thomas Grillo

The reason I'm requesting assistance is that this link at thereminworls:
http://www.thereminworld.com/article.asp?id=27 has every sub-link broken within at this time. I can't access anything that was there only a few munths ago.

Posted: 1/24/2009 1:14:48 PM
Jeff S

Thomas - It appears you are correct. I wonder why.

If you send me a valid email address, I can send you all of the documents.
Posted: 1/24/2009 1:41:35 PM
Thomas Grillo

Thanks Jeff S, I'll do that.

Posted: 1/24/2009 6:16:03 PM
Thomas Grillo

Thanks Jeff S, these look fantastic!

Now if I can just trackdown the specs on that diamond speaker...
Posted: 1/24/2009 7:21:37 PM
Jeff S

What "specs" are you looking for exactly?

Technology has progressed since the 1930's and I don't believe there is only one definitive "diamond" speaker design.

Look at what has been done in the past, look at what is available now, and design your own.
Why not?

Loudspeaker baffle design is a highly complex issue and there is a ton of information about it on the internet.

A plain, open baffle 24 inches square is adequate to reproduce frequencies down to the lower cello range. There's no need to go much lower than this since the "diamond" speaker is mainly used as monitor. If you feel the need to shake the rafters with subsonic frequencies, it would be better to plug into a proper PA system.
Posted: 1/25/2009 4:43:44 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hi Jeff, All I really need in the way of the "diamond speaker" is good shots, and some measurements concerning the visual appearance of this speaker.

As you mention, I do use a speaker behind me as a monitor, which is what this one will be used for, primarily. As for the audience, I know where I can get some boomers, ect.

My main focus is building an authentic looking replica of the diamond from the floor, up.

I do have something in mind in the way of making the baffle foldable so it will be easy to port off to gigs. Just need some good pics, and measurements. I have a speaker that's perfect for it.
Posted: 1/25/2009 10:33:58 PM
antiquekid3

I too would love some specs on the speaker cabinet. It's such a neat design, and so authentic too! If someone can offer some dimensions and info on this, that'd be great!
Posted: 1/26/2009 3:25:21 PM
djpb_designs

Add me on the list of "interested parties". The square box rotated 45 deg is easy enough, but it would be interesting to see details of the support poles and the base.

I have an old EV speaker that's only collecting dust that would be a good "victim" to go in a diamond cabinet for my theremin.

Don
Posted: 1/27/2009 12:27:58 AM
Rowsby

Thomas: What a cool project! Please post images of your completed RCA Replica. :)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.