Theremax - Mods & New Anntenna

Posted: 3/12/2009 3:04:04 PM
thedefog

So there are scattered bits and pieces on this forum of various mods and whatnot for new builders of the Theremax...So my question is, which ones are the most effective/worthwhile for someone that wants to make the Theremax as musical and easy to play as possible? I'm not looking for a giant range. I would be perfectly happy with 3-4 octaves as long as it was easily playable.

From what I've read, I'm considering doing the following:

-Building a pitch antenna from 3/8" diameter, 18" long - hollow copper tubing
-Lining the bottom of the wooden enclosure with copper tape and running a ground point to it
-Changing R4, R9, R14, and R18 from 56k to 22k, to allow more output drive to the mixer, and more stable operation
-boxing the Oscillators in with unetched copper plating
-Creating the "gimmick" capacitor to increase coupling

Thanks!
Posted: 3/13/2009 8:07:10 PM
teslatheremin

Hello,
I don't see any reason to surround the 'Oscillators' with copper clad printed circuit board--- that was an old school remedy for a PAiA TherMax board made years ago. An old Fred N. fix.
(One should only implement the Mods that have been sanctioned by PAiA in the page readily available at PAiA.com and the ThereMax builders of late.)
But, a better pitch rod design can immediately increase linearity, the fatter the better, up to 3/4 inch depending on the ThereMax case design. Also, the Lev antenna has produced some excellent linearity in some modded Theremins.
I have modded my ThereMax with most of those suggested by Paia and Kevin Kissinger, and have used switches in circuit to switch between the mods and the originally intended ThereMax design.
The Mods are very worthwhile and can give your ThereMax a large palette of sounds: from close to Clara, to the strings, horn-like, to the strangest edge!
I have also incorporated a truncated Lev antenna that gives linearity that meets my needs.
I play 3 to 5 octaves with the last(highest) octave compressed.

Also, search this site, ThereminWorld --- with Earth date in mind --- to find some helpful beings and their ideas and suggestions.
There are many ThereMax advocates here, as you will find.

Good Luck!
teslatheremin

Posted: 3/13/2009 9:18:45 PM
thedefog

Thank you for the information Tesla... I'll skip the boxing in of the oscillators.

How about connecting a 10k resistor between the points where the "gimmick" cap would be? Has anyone tried this mod and is it useful? Does this still pertain to the new revision PCB?
Posted: 3/15/2009 5:01:06 PM
teslatheremin

thedefog,
The 10K replacement for the 'Gimmick', is one of the best mods; however, Kevin Kissinger's point of location on the ThereMax PC board does not coincide with the PAiA ThereMax mod document. Both are worthwhile, and can be implemented with switches to select between one or the other--- or both! Both give a different character to the PAiA designed sound. And, together they really make the tone gnarly, but still controllable.
Try them both! Mod it to the Max!
Good Luck!

teslatheremin
Posted: 3/16/2009 3:13:22 PM
djpb_designs

Just noticed the misspelling in the thread name ...

Actually that would make a cute female thereminist's name: Ann Tenna

(yes, I do have a sick mind : )

Don
Posted: 3/16/2009 6:44:52 PM
teslatheremin

A sick mind? How about Ann Tenuate.
;)
TT
Posted: 3/16/2009 7:50:25 PM
thedefog

Hahaha. Yeah, I did that on purpose ;)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.