How useful are knobs on Theremins ?

Posted: 4/27/2009 5:59:35 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"Guitar effects attempt to use digital signal processing techniques (DSP) to mimic the sound of a particular guitar, a particular speaker cabinet, a particular amplifier, a particular type of reverberation, etc. in various combinations. These have varying degrees of success, since the operating point the designer chose to use may not have been what you would have chosen. But these things do provide some interesting coloration to the instrument's tone." Don[/i]

Hi Don,

Working on pre-mixer waveshapes using DSP is certainly not what I am thinking about .. The basic control mechanism is far simpler than that .. 18+ control voltages configure analogue modules (which effectively form an analogue computer) - These CV's define the waveshapes for pitch and reference oscillators and route real-time control signals (CV's for pitch and volume) to this.. One can program the waveshapes to be a function of pitch and / or a function of volume..

Add to the above some post-mixer modules, and the instrument could, I believe, become an 'analogue' of the Theremin one was trying to "emulate".

"Guitar effects" which attempt to copy guitar, cabinet,amplifier,reverb etc are infinitely more complex than the task of duplicating the function of one analogue computer with another analogue computer.. Perfect emulation of accoustically derived and/or modified sounds is not possible "These have varying degrees of success".. It is IMPOSSIBLE to emulate the function of an analogue computer using a digital computer.

I think about it this way - most (if not all) analogue systems perform some 'computation' function.. one can think about a dedicated system (a system built to perform a single function - for example a EW Theremin) as a 'processor' where the 'program' is 'hardwired'.

If one builds a system of sufficient complexity, which can be reconfigured, one can 'program' it to become the same as an equivalent or lesser analogue system.

If one runs 'word' on a laptop, it is the same as if one was to run it on a supercomputer .. One (ignoring operating system stuff) can run anything on the supercomputer, but may not be able to run a program developed on this on a laptop.

[i]"Pre-mixer timbre effects are probably the least explored avenue for theremin design so far. Fred has some very interesting ideas there."[/i]

Thanks Don .. This particular area of exploration was instigated by postings in "the nameless place" where the operation of the Moog 201 was being discussed. The schematic of this Theremin hit me like a thunderclap when I (eventually) twigged as to exactly how it was working.

It was Bob who caused me to go into electronics (or certainly contributed), and Bob who has hounded my life by putting instruments onto the market just about when I had completed prototypes for similar... In reality, I was never anywhere close to Bob.. But the delusion that i was served as a motivating force.

If I do produce a Theremin based on complex pre-mixer manipulations, I will once again be walking in the great mans shadow.. But at least this time there is the possibility of advancing and extending his ideas, and not just being a "me too".
Posted: 4/27/2009 6:10:07 PM
djpb_designs

I wonder (probably expressed this before, somewhere, so forgive me for repeating myself) if Bob got inspiration from the AM/FM radios of the day. Some of those used a double set of IF transformers ... one set for AM, one set for FM, but kept the cost down by re-using the amplifier tube(s). I think the bandswitch selected which detector to use. Unfortunately I think I tossed all those old radio schematics years ago :(

Don
Posted: 4/27/2009 6:18:29 PM
djpb_designs

"Perfect emulation of accoustically derived and/or modified sounds is not possible "These have varying degrees of success".. It is IMPOSSIBLE to emulate the function of an analogue computer using a digital computer."

Mr. Nyquist would probably argue with us about that :) But I lean more towards your thoughts. DSP seems to fall just short of the sound I am looking for most of the time. DSP is great for reverb and delay, though.

Don
Posted: 4/27/2009 6:21:13 PM
Thierry

Fred, I hate to have to tell you this, but there is an Italian enterprise which sells a vacuum tube theremin with pre-mixer waveshaping...

The technical description exists in Italian and in English, but the English translation is full of errors (even I can see that!).

Item # 140316705842 on ebay.it
Posted: 4/27/2009 6:42:15 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]"Fred, I hate to have to tell you this, but there is an Italian enterprise which sells a vacuum tube theremin with pre-mixer waveshaping..." - Thierry[/i]

Simple pre-mixer (single operator) waveshaping is done on many Theremins, this one is no exception and is not comparable to anything I have discussed..

[i] "This new model is equiped with an innovative Shape control for the regulation of the timbre through a potentiometer that changes the wave shape of one of the two oscillators.
When the potentiometer is in the "Sin" position (all anti-clockwise) one oscillator oscillates with sinusoidal armonic wave, while when the potentiometer is in the "Sqr" position (all clockwise) the oscillation has a Square anharmonical shape."[/i]

The possible tone output of the above will depend entirely on the (fixed) harmonic content of the 'other' oscillator... All that going from "sine" to "square" will do is allow odd harmonics to be increased or decreased.. Most theremins implement something similar with their tone control, and often this 'distorting' is done at the mixer or pre mixer.

No "worries" over tone control - The more interesting thing is its claims to linearity.
Posted: 4/27/2009 7:21:46 PM
GordonC

"analogue computer" "reconfigure" "modules"

Oh boy. Now I get it.

I may explode with excitement.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.