Topic: How useful are knobs on Theremins? (continued)

Posted: 4/28/2009 6:45:28 PM
kkissinger

[i]How useful are knobs on Theremin?[/i]

They are indespensible. Here are my comments:

[b]Pitch[/b]

This is indespensible because without it, one would not be able to adjust the note spacing/zero beat position.

[b]Volume[/b]

This adjusts the sensitivity of the volume loop. I use different settings depending on the music. For very expressive playing, I prefer a larger distance (a la Masami Takeuchi). For some of my looping works (which require rapid attacks), I prefer a compressed distance (greater sensitivity).

[b]Brightness[/b]

This is very important -- I often vary the brightness from one situation to another -- even for the same compositions. In general, I prefer a little more brightness in a larger space.

[b]Waveshape[/b]

The exact wave form isn't as important as having contrasting waveforms. In general, I find sine, square (or triangle), and bright (sawtooth or pulse waves) useful. Subtlety of timbre is less important to me than the availability of contrasting timbres. I very much like the Epro's approach that includes a useful set of preset timbres and a user-settable position.

Having said this, my theremin compositions have been written specifically for the Epro. This includes the use of contrasting timbres (my latest looping compositions utilize contrasting timbres and will be included on my not yet released cd). The use of presets make the changes much faster and less stressful in live performance situations. Unlike some synthesizers that I have seen over the years, the Epro's factory presets are quite useful. Bob really knew what he was doing when he developed those presets.

I value a clear, sine-wave tone. Not that I use it all the time, however I want access to that sound.

A big issue for me is linearity, since my music demands specific notes (pitches) -- even my original music. Bear in mind that a linear theremin with limited timbral variety will be more useful to me than a non-linear theremin with lots of "bells and whistles".

How linear is "good enough"? I would suggest that a theremin builder strive for something at least as linear as an Etherwave Standard and strive to acheive the linearity of the Ethervox.

I don't want too much, huh? :)

[b]New theremins[/b]

I am excited at the prospect of new, highly playable (linear) theremins and look forward to playing and/or acquiring them.

[i]--Kevin[/i]
Posted: 4/29/2009 12:11:51 PM
hewson

i agree that linearity should be foremost. from a business perspective, you could include basic functions in the entry model (e.g., linearity, a post heterodyne low-pass filter, and a set of CV-outs) and then offer upgrade modules (e.g., break-out boxes to gain access to the pre-heterodyning waveshaping, or even a simple waveform select box) to allow others who value the functionality to pay the added cost associated with it.

this sort of price discrimination allows you to use the same R&D to access multiple levels of the market (e.g., software where the same engine is sold in "LE" "Standard" or "Pro/studio" versions).

maybe it will also allow you to avoid paying for multiple CE certifications if you just do the "fully upgraded theremin with all features" at once...? shrug!

Posted: 4/29/2009 5:35:01 PM
GordonC

The funny thing is, as of yesterday I am seriously considering (effectively) adding a few more knobs to my etherwave.

Smashing Guitars in Asheville have officially announced the release of [i]Thee Gristleizer[/i] on their myspace blog (http://blogs.myspace.com/theegristleizer) and I want one badly! (Photo and soundclip on MatrixSynth (http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/04/gristleizer.html))

As the fully built version is out of my price range I'll be getting a populated (I hope) circuit board and doing what I was sure I'd never do - soldering! Eek!

I'm thinking I can put it in a box attached to the underside of the etherwave for convenience. Question: would that have a detrimental effect on the theremin? Would I need to line the box with foil or something? (The power supply would be external.)
Posted: 4/29/2009 8:58:18 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

[i]" I was sure I'd never do - soldering! ... Question: would that have a detrimental effect on the theremin? Would I need to line the box with foil or something? "[/i]

-Gordon, if this really frightens you, please feel free to drop over - I would be more than happy to help make the modifications and deal with the hot metal.. Soldering is real easy IF one has good solder, a good iron, and clean (oxide free) circuit board / wire.

With regards to mounting a box under your EW - simple test - does the EW work ok if it is placed on a grounded conductive surface? (I think it will..) you could place it on a piece of grounded aluminium foil to prove this.

If it works, then you can probably feel confident that worst case, all you would need is a grounding sheet between the EW and the Grist.
Posted: 4/29/2009 11:14:09 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Kevin,
Thank you for your comments - I have just posted a long 'reply' but, alas, this seemst to have got lost in the internet aether...

I have flu, and cannot type no more tonight.. I will ASAP.
Fred.
Posted: 4/30/2009 9:23:49 AM
kkissinger

Fred,

Take care of yourself. I'll look forward to reading your reply whenever you post it.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 4/30/2009 11:14:45 AM
GordonC

Fred - I expect I'll have plenty of time to think about doing it myself or taking up your kind offer.

Get well.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.