Wiring the Jaycar/Silicon Chip Theremin

Posted: 5/30/2009 12:40:07 AM
DVNO

Alright, so I've never done any sort of electronics before and I started with the newest model of the Jaycar Theremin. I've finished soldering all the components and that went without incident (Except I didn't know what to do with all the extra pads on the PCB), and I am now at the 'wiring' phase of the construction- trying to find out how to connect the potentiometer to the PCB. I've looked online for guides on how to wire things when dealing with circuit boards but haven't really found much that has helped me. Is it as simple as soldering the copper of the wires to the gold pins in the PCB and the metal bits sticking out of the Potentiometer?
Posted: 5/30/2009 9:22:29 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

Is this the EPE version?
Did you not get a wiring diagram?
The instructions which come with the SC/Jaycar kits are usually extremely instructive and clear - Alternatively, all the data is in the construction article in the magazine.. You could not have built the board without these instructions, so I am a little puzzled!
Posted: 5/30/2009 10:50:21 PM
Thierry

The instructions state clearly that there were supplementary pads because of varying component sizes.

The instructions state also clearly which pin on the circuit board has to be wired with which pin of which external component and which wire has to be used for this.

In case you lost the instructions or bought the kit from a non authorized dealer, so that it came without the whole documentation, contact me by email theremin(at)tfrenkel(dot)com and I will send you a pdf scan.
Posted: 5/31/2009 1:21:47 PM
DVNO

Er, this was more of a general electronics question of "how do you wire things" but I think I've got it under control.
Thanks for the heads up on the extra pad thing Thierry, all it said was:
"Please note that some components, such as resistors, capacitors, trimpots and FETs have extra pads, which allow for the different lead pitches of the components. Make sure to use the appropriate pads."
So I'm actually still a little bit concerned that I messed this up somehow.
Posted: 5/31/2009 1:35:30 PM
Thierry

If you want you may send me pictures from both sides of your circuit board and I'll verify it for you. Or you may add me to your friends on facebook and you'll have access to a picture series describing the building of a Jaycar theremin: Album on FaceBook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=354&id=1742377501)
Posted: 5/31/2009 2:01:33 PM
DVNO

That would be great! Thanks.
Posted: 5/31/2009 5:48:18 PM
Thierry

I forgot... On facebook search for Thierry Frenkel, if sending me email use theremin(at)tfrenkel(dot)com

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.