Theremin original antennas

Posted: 8/1/2009 7:29:30 AM
Curby

Well, the searchfunction isn't the best so my question is:

How are the antennas fixed on the original theremin? I have some cupper-chrome anetannas and want to build a similar function to my theremin.

Look here for my antennas:
http://nils.neuenwal.de/HPIM3512.JPG

Thanks for ideas :)
Posted: 8/1/2009 9:03:54 AM
coalport

By "original theremin", I guess you mean the RCA.

Antennas on the RCA (both the rod and the loop) are plug-ins. They are constructed with a collar so that they cannot be inserted any further than one and a quarter inches.
Posted: 8/1/2009 10:46:41 AM
Jeff S

You can see the construction details of the 1929 RCA theremin antennas here (http://www.thereminworld.com/article.asp?id=27).

See drawings 11 through 15 at the bottom of the page.
Posted: 8/1/2009 12:39:56 PM
Curby

Well yes, no I was thinking about the etherwave :)
But thats intresting to.
But I'm, searhcing for a construction method thats good and everbody can build

Maybe a picture of the parts of an etherwave antenna would be great :D
Posted: 8/1/2009 2:36:34 PM
Jeff S

The Moog/Big Briar standard Etherwave theremin uses standard tube compression fittings for mounting the antennas. These can be purchased in almost any hardware/plumbing store.

The Moog Etherwave theremins use 3/8" (American) tubing and fittings.

You can duplicate the arrangement using 10mm tubing and fittings more readily available in Europe. However, these will NOT be interchangable with the American made Etherwaves and will be a problem if you intend to export to America.
Posted: 8/3/2009 1:24:39 PM
djpb_designs

Right here on TW there's some great info. Check out the /schematics/misc page for this article:

Movie: Bending antennas

Don
Posted: 8/5/2009 10:28:36 AM
joyvaman

I actually just recently made my own theremin antennae from plumbing supplies about a month ago. I bought a used, 1990s-vintage Big Briar Etherwave on Ebay for $150, far less than what I paid for my new Moog Etherwave in 2006. The catch was that the Big Briar was sold "as is" with no antennas or power supply. Wanting to keep things low-budget, I visited my local True Value with my authentic Moog antennas in hand, looking for the right parts with which to more or less duplicate them.

I used two 20-inch toilet supply tubes, three brass compression sleeves, and three brass compression nuts -- total cost about eleven dollars.

In under an hour, with the help of pliers and a trusty hacksaw, I was in my living room playing the Big Briar with just-created homemade antennas... a very satisfying experience.

Here's a link to a YouTube clip of me playing Memory (from "Cats") (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M45KSzLta7c) on my new toy -- if you squint you can see the tank supply head at the top of the pitch antenna.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.