Great electronics book

Posted: 7/2/2010 10:16:02 PM
FredM

From: Eastleigh, Hampshire, U.K. ................................... Fred Mundell. ................................... Electronics Engineer. (Primarily Analogue) .. CV Synths 1974-1980 .. Theremin developer 2007 to present .. soon to be Developing / Trading as WaveCrafter.com . ...................................

I found this book, available for free .pdf download http://www.designinganalogchips.com/_count/designinganalogchips.pdf

Although the title "Designing Analogue Chips" may appear daunting, this is possibly the best book I have seen on many analogue related subjects..

The circuit descriptions are wonderfully clear - and the topics covered are huge.. Current mirrors and sources, Differential pairs (understand the EW Oscillator for a start), Op-Amps, Comparators, OTA's, Timers, Oscillators, Waveshapers, PLL's, Filters.. Almost everything is covered..

But, most important (to me) is that this is a book full of readable schematics, almost no mathematics or silly equivalence diagrams - it is readable without getting that sense of dread I sometimes get when I pick up a book, and the first few pages (and the rest of the book) are written in mathematish..

I so wish I had come across a book like this 20 years ago, rather than having to translate maths and equivalence diagrams into understanding I could visualize.

Also, unlike many books, one can go straight to a subject without having to read all the preceding.. (although this will depend on your level of understanding.. You may find Op-Amps a little difficult to follow if you dont know how differential pairs work - But the description of Op-Amps is good enough that one could probably work out the operation of the circuit even if you never encountered differential pairs before)

You do not *need* to work your way through the semiconductor stuff at the beginning of the book to understand the rest.

Also, using a book like this, one can understand what goes on inside IC's - and often replace an IC with a few transistors which do what you really want to do.
Posted: 7/4/2010 12:23:04 AM
Jeff S

Thanks Fred! Some of us can use all of the help we can get.

It looks like it's a little easier to follow than the book I just picked up for $1.00 at a thrift store.
Electronic Circuits - Digital and Analog, Charles A. Holt (1978)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.