Adding onto a theremin

Posted: 8/1/2010 3:00:22 PM
adamvelvetu

I have a theremin that is 'chuck collins' single antennae analog model. I find it difficult to control and find the right pitch...is there anyway to add onto this existing model? Would adding another antennae bring more stability? Thanks for any help.
Posted: 8/1/2010 5:36:40 PM
Thierry

Before you buy a theremin you should decide for yourself what you want to play on it and how you want to play it. Then you should (if necessary) ask the question on a forum like this one in order to find out which theremin model will be best suited for your needs. Then (and only then) you may go and buy one.

You should be aware of the fact that there are different theremin models and construction principles which target different markets.

It's the same when you buy a car: If you intend to transport heavy freight with it, you won't buy the smallest economic model. You will not be able to transform a beetle into a 40 tons truck later.
Posted: 8/1/2010 6:50:48 PM
adamvelvetu

That's not really a response helpful to my question. I get what you're saying...in fact, anything will be more effective if research is done beforehand.

When I bought this theremin several years ago it fully met the needs for the type of music I was playing. Now it doesn't. There are clearly other theremins that look similar to mine but appear to have an extra antennae or other pieces. Can these pieces be added on? I've built plenty of guitars and a little soldering isn't off-putting. Would it be better to just purchase a new theremin? You seem very excited to give suggestions. I'm in a band that it is doing things more like Exiles-era Stones.
Posted: 8/1/2010 7:40:11 PM
Jeff S

Even if you were an electronics wizard, like Thierry, it wouldn't be worth your while to attempt to "add on" anything, such as a volume antenna, to this theremin. Theremins are a unique animal. They have nothing in common with guitars and not all that much with synths except they also use oscillators.

It's unfortunate that you've outgrown your initial theremin purchase, but we are not to blame. Thierry is a kind and generous soul who does not deserve to be treated poorly IMHO. You should also be made aware that English is not his native tongue.
Posted: 8/1/2010 8:20:48 PM
adamvelvetu

Lol...I definitely was not looking for someone to 'blame'--more for advice on if my idea was feasible...my assumption being that if something was built it could be added onto. I hope Thierry is not hurt by someone telling him/her curtly their advice wasn't helpful.
Posted: 8/1/2010 8:55:51 PM
Brian R

[i]...my assumption being that if something was built it could be added onto. I hope Thierry is not hurt by someone telling him/her curtly their advice wasn't helpful.[/i]

I hope you see now that Thierry's advice is, in fact, helpful; it's just not what you were hoping to hear. :-) Good luck in your shopping for a more musical theremin!
Posted: 8/2/2010 9:38:02 AM
Jeff S

BTW....Thierry is a gentleman, not a lady. His webpages will provide you with more information...

Thierry Frenkel (http://theremin.tfrenkel.com/)
Posted: 8/2/2010 4:03:03 PM
coalport

As Brian pointed out, Thierry's advice was helpful but it was delivered in a very diplomatic, roundabout way. Thierry is a Frenchman and the French are often shocked by our very direct, "cowboy" approach - believe me, I know, I lived in France for years.

Here's what I believe Thierry was trying to say translated into good old American English.

Adamvelvetu, the short answer to your question is NO.

Whatever kind of pitch-only theremin you have is a piece of shit (no reflection on my old friend Chucky whose a sweet guy). It is obviously unreliable and no amount of tinkering with the damn thing is going to improve it.

The music you are playing now is a little more sophisticated than what you were into a couple of years back, and you need a dependable theremin that is up to the job. Get yourself a Moog Etherwave. You won't regret it I promise you.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.