One Theremin Per Child

Posted: 5/23/2011 5:02:34 PM
GordonC

Just found this...

"[i]An open source project to create a sub-$30, quality theremin. With all due respect for the One Laptop Per Child program (which is awesome and not in any way related), the OTPC acronym can also expand to "Obligatory Theremin Parts Collection".

The OTPC kit uses two capacitive sensors for pitch and volume, and generates audio using wavetable synthesis. Yes, that is cheating in the world of theremin-building. Two prototypes exist; the third will be the production version:[/i]"

link (http://as220.org/shawn/blog/2011/04/one-theremin-per-child.html)

Posted: 5/24/2011 12:08:54 AM
Jason

What a great find - thanks for sharing that link Gordon! I'm going to bump this up to the front page.
Posted: 5/24/2011 12:37:11 PM
coalport

Before we all leap up and shout three cheers for World Thereminization, has anyone actually heard the "theremin" that is being proposed by Shawn Wallace?

"World Thereminization" means different things to different people. My fear is that Wallace, who claims to have created a "sub-$30, quality theremin", may in fact have created a $30.00 sub-quality theremin!

Posted: 5/24/2011 3:13:32 PM
GordonC

I'm working on that aspect. If anything comes of it I'm sure you'll hear about it.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.