espe01 -> EM theremin?

Posted: 10/4/2011 1:20:19 PM
ericr

Hi all (and especially Thierry!)

I've got a question about the espe01 "bass" module. Is it compatible with the "EM" theremin? I built my EM theremin with the same aux connector as the Etherwave, so the connection points will be available. If the module works with the older Big Briar Etherwaves, it seems like the circuitry should be close enough to the EM theremin. I'd just like to confirm before i order one...

Thanks!

eric
Posted: 10/4/2011 7:01:42 PM
Thierry

It will work, that is sure. But I'm not sure if the fact that C2 and C6 are 22pF in the EM theremin but only 15pF in the Etherwaves will make a difference or which side-effects that will have.

Basically I would keep C2 and C6 at 22pF and see what happens, there is not any risk. If the sound will be rather muffled, replace them by 15pF. But if the timbre will be really brilliant when you turn the brightness knob at 3 or 4 o'clock, keep the 22pF.
Posted: 10/5/2011 12:01:56 PM
ericr

Thanks, Thierry.

That's just the info i was looking for. I'll order one and report back with the results...
Posted: 10/26/2011 2:11:30 PM
ericr

Update:

I received the module and installed it in my EM theremin yesterday.

It works like a charm - it's so nice to have an actual rich bass sound out of this instrument! Much of what i'm currently using the theremin for is playing something like a "cello" line under a song, and it (finally) sounds like it should!

I didn't take any detailed recordings before, so it might just be my imagination, but the timbre has [b]maybe[/b] softened a little, which i prefer anyway. I can still dial in more "buzzy" brightness than i would ever want.

(I still prefer the overall sound of my tube instruments, but the Keppinger is too big to pack around to my band's concerts.)

So thanks again Thierry!
Posted: 10/26/2011 6:47:31 PM
Thierry

You are welcome! I'm glad to hear that you are satisfied with the result. Such positive feedback motivates me to continue this kind of developments.
Posted: 10/27/2011 9:18:23 AM
Amethyste

Now please, make one for the Wavefront! It's driving me nuts!
Posted: 10/27/2011 9:45:11 AM
Thierry

Amethyste, your Wavefront has primarily a volume problem which is not by design. This can not be fixed with an additional module, but only by a competent technician who knows how to repair it. I know one of them in France... ;-)

When that will be solved, we could think in a second step about a tweak of the ESPE01 module, so that it will also give a lower pitch range and better linearity to your beautiful instrument.
Posted: 10/27/2011 2:02:50 PM
Amethyste

Thierry,
I wouldn't even know how to dismount the main cicuitry from the cabinet :( And then it would take a good month before I would get it back, depending on how long it would be stuck with customs... :(

Posted: 10/27/2011 2:13:10 PM
Thierry

I will perhaps make it on the other side of the pond, for example if there will be enough work for me that I can at least cover the travel costs. So please start collecting defective theremins... ;-)

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.