Best amplifier

Posted: 3/8/2005 4:47:55 PM
ThereMan

i have been using my crate 50 watt bass amp as a theremin amplifier...it sounds decent and packs pretty good volume but i am wondering what a good affordable amp would be for a theremin?
Posted: 3/8/2005 10:46:34 PM
Jeff S

Well, only you can decide what's "affordable".
A bass amp is probably adequate, but a keybord amp is generally a better choice because of its greater range and it can handle a higher input signal.
Why not take your theremin down to the music store and test drive a few? That would be the best way to find out what you like.
Posted: 3/9/2005 1:19:16 PM
DiggyDog

And let us know what you come up with. I am shopping for a new amp as well...
Posted: 3/9/2005 7:50:28 PM
ThereMan

im gonna take ur advice jeff, im taking her down to the guitar center this weekend...hopefully ill find something
Posted: 3/9/2005 11:36:51 PM
Jason

Have fun. I did this several years ago, and it really tends to turn heads. Be prepared to answer lots of questions about the theremin.

There used to be a shop in Seattle called the Trading Musician, where they had an Etherwave set up in front of a wall of literally hundreds of used & trade-in effects pedals & amps. I could have hung out there all week.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experiences. Are you primarily looking at keyboard amps? If not, have you done the guitar amp mod to your Etherwave?
Posted: 3/10/2005 12:30:18 AM
TomFarrell

For what it's worth, I use my Etherwave with a cheap guitar amp and haven't done the guitar amp mod to the instrument, and it works. The things to be aware of are that I need to keep the amp's volume set very low because as far as it's concerned the Etherwave is REALLY LOUD, and also that my volume feels a bit unexpressive because it goes from zero to almost overdriving the amp in a very short range.

I recommend against getting a guitar amp, but I just wanted this to be said in case anyone is getting an etherwave, already has a guitar amp, and would like to postpone spending the money on a new amp for the etherwave.
Posted: 3/10/2005 12:36:02 PM
ThereMan

ive never faced a prolem like that with my bass amp but it really doesnt sound great thats why i am shopping...is the one moog offers decent? i think it may be a little small though and also how does a theremin sound through a typical PA?
Posted: 3/10/2005 12:56:41 PM
Cortex 007

I use a Roland keyboard amp.
I also use a small Presonus tube preamp.
The Roland line will get you an incredible amp for under $500.00 and some are mixing amps (I run my Alesis synth through the same amp. It's the only way to accompany yourself!!
Posted: 3/10/2005 2:14:04 PM
DiggyDog

I have run my Etherwave through a regular PA a few times and it sounds great.

I have a Soundtech 8 channel PA with a couple of Horizon wedge speakers.

The PA has EQ and a short delay built in (although I don't use the delay on the theremin. I have an effects processor that I run it through.

Anyway, I love the full sound I get through the PA with my amp as a monitor.
Posted: 3/10/2005 3:41:53 PM
Jason

Cortex - which model preamp do you use? Most tube pre-amps I've seen are mic amps, which I would guess wouldn't do too well with the output level of a theremin.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.