customizing your theremin

Posted: 5/23/2005 7:54:08 PM
ThereMan

i was wondering who here has customized there theremin...I was thinking since there are such few models of theremin out there most of us probably own the same ones and i wanna know how you guys make it individual like a guitar or other instrument would be...so whatu guys doing to customize these babies
Posted: 5/23/2005 10:30:50 PM
Jeff S

I haven't customized any theremins yet, but I've been working on ideas for my Pro. I've got some great ideas, but I've got time to come up with more. The trick is thinking "out of the box". I'm not talking about mounting it in a skull or an old radio or anything like that, but something that's truly instrument quality. You may think I'm crazy for even thinking about altering my Pro. I don't think it would be too difficult to improve on the cabinet, but the hardware is something else, and I've got a couple of ideas.
I've got plenty of time to think about it. I plan on taking my Pro to Moog in August and having them tweak the volume response, and then I don't plan on making the alteration until October when the warranty has expired...just in case.
Posted: 7/1/2005 10:58:19 AM
Jason

Hmm... I'm getting an idea for a gallery feature... "pimp my theremin" :)

I'd be curious to see what people have done with their theremin paint jobs, cabinets, new antennas, knobs, etc.
Posted: 7/14/2005 4:08:45 PM
user

Does a real sloppy varnish job count as pimping? :)
Posted: 7/14/2005 5:09:27 PM
Jason

Maybe if you stick a few feathers on as the varnish is drying :)

Our photo gallery has several photos of some pretty "pimped-out" theremins... from the one in a shiny metal skull to the barbed-wire fence theremin. I'd love to see what other crazy cases people are making.
Posted: 7/15/2005 6:56:15 PM
TomFarrell

My etherwave was signed, in gold paint, by about a dozen of the world's greatest science fiction authors. The entire top is covered with autographs, as are the two small panels to either side of the controls, and the side that faces away from the player is starting to collect a few autographs too. There are photos on my web site at:
http://theremin.tomfarrell.org/

I then put one coat of clear high gloss polyurethane over the parts that have been fully signed to protect the autographs... it's beautiful really, it looks like a black lacquer theremin with gold autographs inlaid. When it's fully autographed I'll give it another coat or two for better protection.
Posted: 8/9/2005 7:06:52 PM
omhoge

I just don't want to void the deal on my first and pretty expensive theremin (plus I haven't soldered in a while). Think Moog would do the snappy volume upgrade plus add a pitch preview jack?
- jh
Posted: 8/10/2005 11:24:25 AM
Jeff S

Yes they would.....for a price. That's exactly what they're doing for me as we speak (I hope).
Posted: 8/10/2005 11:26:28 AM
jeshum

My Etherwave has a very nice paintjob, done by Dutch comics artist Marcel Ruijters(aka husband).

Marcel painted three common pipistrelles, because I am fascinated by these animals and their echolocation system. My theremin is therefore known as the Vleremin. (Vleermuis is Dutch for bat, and min means 'to love'.)

This summer we even have a pipistrellus pipistrellus flying around the house at sundown! Maybe he was lured by my vleremin.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jeshum/vleremin/index.html

greetings,
JH :-)
[Jessica Hummel]
Posted: 8/10/2005 8:38:04 PM
Etherdave

My PAIA Theremax was a kit theremin that I ordered without the cabinet components. I built my own cabinet from red oak boards to form a double-box, which I then set on 28" table legs. I hand-made traditional-shape antennae from 1/4" brass rod, which attach to the cabinet with compression fittings a la etherwave. The control panel is on top an is reasonably functional while playing.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.