My First Theremin - amps and theremins

Posted: 6/2/2006 4:54:10 PM
JmD

OK, I'm looking at getting my first theremin. I'm proberly looking at the cheap kits available for about £60 - any opinions on these?

Also I play bass, I take it I can't use my bass amplifier to play the theremin? However my guitarist also has a spare, old, amp he would be willing to sell me. Could I use this?

Thanks
Posted: 6/2/2006 8:28:18 PM
GordonC

Which £60 kit? There's a fair chance you'll find it mentioned over in the construction forum if it's worthwhile.

With regards the amp. Probably the best advice is wait until you've got your theremin, and try it on your bass amp, and on your mate's guitar amp, and whatever else you can lay your hands on. See what you like.

Typical suggestions around here are keyboard amps, for their broad range, neutrality and because some theremins have keyboard strength output, or guitar amps for their added warmth. I've never seen mention of bass amps, so I'm curious to hear about it.

Posted: 6/2/2006 8:48:30 PM
GordonC

Oh, is it the kit from thereminkits.com? I recall that was 60 quid. Er, apparently it is the same one that jaycar sell. I read it's not really up to standard without a fair bit of modification.

(I took the easy option and got mine from Kees Enkelaar, and as you may have noticed from recent enthusiastic postings, he does a good job on it.)

Posted: 6/3/2006 10:01:05 PM
DiggyDog

You should definitely try out as many amps as you can before making a purchase.

The bass amp may be OK, depending on what model it is. The highs may not sound very good, though. You will not know until you try it.

On more thing, when you are trying out amps, start with the volume level very low. Most theremins put out a very strong signal that may not sound so good at high volumes. It may even damage some amps. It won't be a problem if you start out low and gradually increase the volume.

Good luck and have fun!
Posted: 6/3/2006 10:01:48 PM
DiggyDog

One more thing, a good keyborad amp may be able to handle your bass as well....
Posted: 7/14/2006 8:56:07 AM
DiggyDog

Quick update.

I have had my Crate KBX100 amp for a couple of months or so and it is performing nicely!

Last Sunday I had my bass, theremin, and two circuit-bent insturments running through it at once and it sounded fine.

I think I had the theremin a little too loud in relation to the other instruments but at least I'm not straining to hear it anymore.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.