Pitch issues

Posted: 11/27/2006 3:25:31 PM
chinard

A little clarification if you dont mind as to what exactly they are refering to in regards to 'zero beat'

I have done tuning on analog synths before and i always used zero beat with a reference tone for tuning to a key.

With the pitch antenna there really isnt a 'key' reference tone to work with, so am i correct to assume that zero beat would be the low end of the distance at the point where the oscilator stops sounding?
Posted: 11/27/2006 3:55:31 PM
buddy_craigg

[b]Barl[/b]
[i] Also, I went to Radio Shack and asked about plastic electronics screwdrivers, and they looked at me like I was crazy. What am I missing with these things?[/i]

us old timers call them fiddle sticks.

radio shack 3-Piece Anti-Static Set
$4.99
Model: 64-2230
Catalog #: 64-2230

screwdrivers (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062757&cp=2032058.2032236.2032309&allCount=6&fbn=Price%2F%244.00+-+%245.99&fbc=1&fr=StorePrice%2FRSK%2F00000400%2F00000599&parentPage=family)
i think this link will work...
Posted: 11/27/2006 4:09:19 PM
GordonC

[i]With the pitch antenna there really isnt a 'key' reference tone to work with, so am i correct to assume that zero beat would be the low end of the distance at the point where the oscilator stops sounding?[/i]

Correct. That is where the two radio frequency signals, the fixed one and the one varied by proximity to the antenna are the same, and the audible beat frequency of their difference becomes zero.
Posted: 11/28/2006 10:17:40 AM
DiggyDog

You are not the first one to see those befuddled looks on the faces of the Radio Shack employees.

Another name the old-timers used (at least at the Bell Telephone Company where my dad worked) was "orange sticks". These were made of wood but the were not orange so I am not sure where the name comes from.

Posted: 11/28/2006 10:18:23 AM
DiggyDog

I'm pretty sure they were not made of wood from an orange tree either...
Posted: 12/3/2006 2:12:11 PM
Barl

As it turned out, I did have to use a small hexagonal allen wrench to turn the oscillator and so i never bought the 'fiddlesticks,' but without the help of this forum, I probably wouldn't have been able to fix my theremin. Thanks for your help.
Posted: 12/8/2006 8:46:07 AM
DiggyDog

Buddy,

Here is a thread where pitch issues have been covered.

It also serves the purpose of pushing the spam down a bit.

I will personally make this promise to everyone here: I will NEVER buy any product from any spammer. EVER!

The only way to defeat it is to make it useless. When the idiots realize that they are wasting their time they will go elsewhere.
Posted: 12/8/2006 8:46:09 AM
DiggyDog

Buddy,

Here is a thread where pitch issues have been covered.

It also serves the purpose of pushing the spam down a bit.

I will personally make this promise to everyone here: I will NEVER buy any product from any spammer. EVER!

The only way to defeat it is to make it useless. When the idiots realize that they are wasting their time they will go elsewhere.
Posted: 1/29/2007 6:52:43 AM
lowfer

OK got my Etherwave put together and it sings, but I was going nuts trying to figure out why it had a zero beat with my hand a few inches from the pitch antenna, then went HIGHER again.

time to rtfm.

OK looks like I need to adjust the pitch circuit, finally something I know a little bit about - not the pitch circuit so much, but fiddling with those "pots".

Those are "slugs" of powdered iron, held together by a binder, that change the inductance of the coils. Inductance is something coils have, like capacitors have capacitance and resistors have resistance. The thing with tunable inductors is, though, that those slugs can be delicate, they can get broken by a metal screwdriver, and they can be broken or otherwise messed up by screwing them in too hard or out too far etc. Gentle is the word here.

Some slugs may have a little hex shaped hole in them, some may have a cross or streight screwdriver slot, manufacturers get their parts and often the type of hole in the slug changes as new stocks of parts are ordered.

If it's a screwdriver type streight slot, you're in luck if you're cheap, because you can whittle a nice little tool out of some suitable hard wood and be OK.

Otherwise you will need "alignment tools" which you can get at Radio Shack, Mouser, etc.

What the above poster said is true, this is not something to do when tired, hurried, impatient, had a brewski, etc.

As for me, right now I have every tool BUT an alignment tool (although a scope probe alignment tool may work and I think I have a few of those) so it's time for me to take a break and look at the situation tomorrow.
Posted: 1/30/2007 2:21:01 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hello, I contacted Moog when having a tuning problem, and Amos informed me that when he gets a theremin in, he slaps a lid on that has holes drilled in the lid right over the lugs. After hearing this, I opened my etherwave standard up, took measurements on the locations of those lugs, making sure to account for the width of the lid, and made my 3 holes.

I then contacted Moog, to ask what would be a good hole cover, and as it turns out, as long as your holes are slightly less than 3/8th inch, the end plugs used for the pitch antenna work perfectly. If they don't fit tight enough, you can just use a bit of eletrician's tape around the plug to make ti a tight fit. They were kind enough to mail me 3 pitch antenna plugs which work nicely.

Also, having the access holes makes things a lot faster, and less frustrating too.

By the way, Moog also sels the fiddlestick or tuning lug screwdriver.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.