the wife wants to know if the song Matte Kudasai by King Crimson has a theremin in it

Posted: 11/4/2006 11:11:46 PM
buddycraigg

just like the title reads, the wife (Polly , get used to her name) wants to know if the song Matte Kudasai by King Crimson has a theremin in it.
Posted: 11/5/2006 6:35:57 AM
GordonC

Hmm.

It sounds exactly like a theremin, and King Crimson are reputed to have used one (http://www.thereminworld.com/band.asp?b=743), but I think you have the same problem deciding that I do - Robert Fripp.

I can totally believe that Fripp could have coaxed that sound out of his guitar!

Edit: The wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matte_Kudasai) does not mention a theremin.
Posted: 12/3/2006 2:19:23 PM
Tombstoneshoes

I think it's just Adrian Belew's guitar with a volume pedal or something.

Adrian Belew was famous for playing what he called 'animal guitar' you can hear him playing his elephant sound on the song 'elephant talk' and on 'matte kudasai' he does a second or two of his seagull sound while playing the intro. I mean he could have just dubbed that over and it could be theremin playing the rest but it sounds like a guitar to me.

I love that song though I'd totally forgot it existed, thanks for reminding me. I'm going to go steal that album with soulseek.
Posted: 12/4/2006 12:35:26 AM
Jeff S

One of my all-time favorites!

It's hard to know what sound she thinks is a theremin (the "seagulls"?), but I've never heard anything that I thought was one, although I can understand how someone might think so.

Anyone familiar with the work of Fripp and Belew knows the range of sounds they are able to produce with their guitars and effects.

I've found that some of Fripp's work can be great inspiration for playing the theremin, as Gordon has recently pointed out.
Posted: 12/4/2006 9:53:01 AM
chinard

its hard to say, i do know that fripp was a big fan of using an e-bow with a bottle neck. that also might be what is being used.
Posted: 12/5/2006 9:48:31 AM
pkrouse

I saw them live on the Discipline tour in 1981. Lots of pedals, lots of great sound, but no theremin in sight. I'd say it's all masterful pedal work.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.