French Connection ring and other questions

Posted: 11/10/2006 11:09:16 AM
sidecars

You certainly are set for modules! I have three total!

The parts of the Ondes Martenot that I miss are:

1. A keyboard that can move back and forth with a vibrato sound.

2. The Palm and Metalic speakers.

Really all that the French Connections offers is the ring... which is great.. but I wish L'Ondea hadn't fizzled so much. I was willing to spend every penny of a modest inheritance on one, but they just aren't being made.

Totally off subject, the other instrument I day dreamed a bit about was the Cristal Baschet, but, man, are they expensive.

Posted: 11/10/2006 12:56:43 PM
Marble Field

Quoting Charlie D:

"P.S Are there any audio files of this instrument on the net?"

French Connection is just a CV controller, similar to a MIDI keyboard, it does not transmit any sound. So the sound depends on the synth you're controlling with it... I wouldn't actually talk about a "value-for-money" choice...
Posted: 11/10/2006 3:50:25 PM
Jari Jokinen

> 1. A keyboard that can move back and forth with a vibrato sound.

Don't the keys move sideways rather than back and forth?
Posted: 11/10/2006 3:52:32 PM
Jari Jokinen

> You certainly are set for modules! I have three total!

That is a lot of modules, but I have been such a good boy and it is soon Christmas! I guess with French Connection one can do well with just VCO and VCA.
Posted: 11/10/2006 4:20:52 PM
sidecars

Oops. That is what I meant... side to side.

I have good a bit nuts with instruments. I got a modest inheritance, not enough to quit work or even to buy a Hummer if I would be crazy enough to desire it, but enough to either pay off bills or buy instruments. I bought instruments.

I am seriously thinking of using the last of it to buy one of Mr. Engels Theremin Cellos... but it is a good hunk of change. I hear his work is superb, but it is a lot of money for a hobbiest.

I may follow your example and buy a few more modules for the French Connection... or perhaps a CV to MIDI convertor. Let me know how yours work for you.

As to the thought of hearing the French Connection being somewhat worthless give it is just a controller. I disagree, after a certain point anyways. The difference in the French Connection is how it sounds with the combination of the string and expression knob. Few other controllers manipulate the modules in that fashion. Maybe no others. THAT is what I would like to share. I will see what I can do this weekend.

Bryan
Seattle
Posted: 11/10/2006 4:21:30 PM
sidecars

Oops.

Gone a bit nuts.
Posted: 11/12/2006 10:26:34 PM
sidecars

This is a reallllllly cheesy example, but here is my French Connection. Honestly I haven't touched it in months, and the Synth settings are basic... but...

http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.aspx?artistid=36492&mode=music&recordid=107650

I do some slides.. then the keys with no button. Then the keys with the volume button.

Posted: 11/12/2006 10:43:33 PM
sidecars

Let me know what modules you consider essential.

Here is a link to a performer with some nice cuts...

http://www.archive.org/details/Harada

I like cuts six and seven.. the sheet music for them is available online. At one point I had movements from each ready to play.. up to a point. But... gotta get back to that!

Posted: 11/12/2006 11:13:26 PM
sidecars

A good French Connection link

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Jul03/articles/synthsecrets51.asp
Posted: 11/13/2006 2:15:45 PM
Jari Jokinen

> The parts of the Ondes Martenot that I miss are:
> 1. A keyboard that can move back and forth with
> a vibrato sound.
Do you know, if the whole Ondes Martenot keyboard - rather than each individual key - is moving sideways?

> Really all that the French Connections offers
> is the ring...
and the button, of course.

>http://www.archive.org/details/Harada
Track No 5 is especially interesting, as it shows the versatility of Ondes Martenot. Unfortunately, this couln't be played with French Connection.

FC might not be perfect, but I have now ordered one!

Best regards
Jari Jokinen

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.