Play theremin left-hand or right-hand

Posted: 12/6/2006 6:03:25 AM
relpot

Hi,

I'm playing cello since many years and I'm currently learning to play Theremin (i bought a moog etherwave theremin).
I think about the best way to practice the theremin and I think that thre best way for me to play theremin is to have the pitch antenna on my left.
Indeed, with my cello i play the pitch with my left hand and i do the note attack with my right hand.
So for me it's logical to play theremin in the same way, with pitch antenna on the left and volume antenna on the right.
I saw Pamela Kurstin in live and I saw that she play like this too. But i don't know if it is because she is a left-handed person or if it is because she choose to play like this..

What do you think about this ?
Does anyone think like me ???
Do you know if Pamela Kurstin is left-handed ??

Thanks
Aurélien Potier
http://www.aurelienpotier.net
Posted: 12/6/2006 7:13:00 AM
GordonC

Which hand do you favour for tasks requiring precise control - writing, etc.? Pitch requires more accuracy than volume.

And - which way around is most natural for you? Try both and see which feels right. Does one way feel clumsy and uncomfortable?

(Also try playing forehand; from the shoulder, fingers facing the antenna, and backhand; from the breastbone, fingers facing towards you.)

Posted: 12/6/2006 8:54:45 AM
DiggyDog

Relpot, I went through the same thing you are going through now.

I play bas and guitar so naturally I thought maybe I should use my left hand for the pitch.

My Etherwave was getting dizzy from being turned this way and that until I finally decided to play right-handed (that is, with the pitch antenna on my right).

Somehow, it just feels right this way.

What Gordon said is true as well. The level of prcision that s required is much more than on other instruments.

Try it both ways for a while and see which one works for you.

Let us know how you end up.

Posted: 12/6/2006 8:55:42 AM
DiggyDog

Oh, and it's my understanding that Pamela is left-handed.

Posted: 12/6/2006 9:43:16 AM
buddy_craigg

[i]Does one way feel clumsy and uncomfortable? [/i]

ummmm, yes
Posted: 12/6/2006 10:01:07 AM
vonbuck

Ahh a subject that I really enjoy. I am left handed, and play what would be considered backwards, using my left hand for pitch.
I play horizontal instruments (guitar ect) left handed and verticle ones ( cello, uprite bass) right handed ( my teachers made me)
i always found it weird that I felt more comfortable playing theremin what I consider right hand style ( left hand for pitch)
For years before i even knew you could get a theremin, i aleays played air theremin. And i did it with my left doing pitch.
It seems that I should be using my right hand for pitch, but it's not as easy.
People say that it's because your dominant hand has more controll. Then why aren't all string musicians playing with their RH playing pitch.
Some say its brain dominant and with theremin your relying mre on visual than physical in playing. I just thing it's "that crazy instrument"
don't worry about which way to play. Before you really try one, see what feels comfortable, not what seems logical. if your right handed you'll find that you r RH doing the pitch will feel better.
Andy
Posted: 12/6/2006 10:03:05 AM
vonbuck

i believe Pamelia is somehat ambidextrious. I've seen here play RH style on a RH theremin, and seen a video of here playing a perisphone left handed.

Andy
Posted: 12/7/2006 7:34:32 AM
GordonC

OK, Buddy, I'll take the bait...

Does the other way feel any less clumsy?

Posted: 12/7/2006 7:40:50 AM
omhoge

I think if you're right handed most likely you'll have best results playing pitch with the right hand. try one out, or at least grab either the Clara Rockmore or Lydia Kavina video and play air theremin while watching it and see which hand likes to do the pitch best. (I only say those two because they seem have the most front on playing shots).
Posted: 12/7/2006 8:51:39 AM
DiggyDog

Clumsy is as clumsy does....

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.