Etherwave control

Posted: 2/27/2007 1:55:17 PM
Adi

Hi -just started using my etherwave standard theremin -Ive noticed (apart from being difficult to play!) that when I turn the brightness knob to either extremes of its range the pitch changes by a tone -is this normal or do I need to get it sorted? Thanks for any help -keep up the great work -nice site
Posted: 2/27/2007 2:27:12 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hi, I have an Etherwave Standard, and it also does the same thing. If I start with brightness full left, and go full right, there is a half to full step drop in pitch.

I think it's just the nature of this type of theremin. I've thaught about talking to Moog Music about it, but the effect is so minimal that I'm not all that concerned sinse I can adapt with my playing techniques.
Posted: 2/27/2007 5:47:51 PM
Adi

Thanks Thomas - I was beginning to think I had a dud one ! Talking about Controlling the theremin -can anyone recommend a good book that will help me learn the basics? Ive watched the dvd that came with the Moog and I get depressed within 5 mins cos I can't play mine yet ! I know I have to have patience but is there an idiots guide step by step to playing the etherwave or is it just constant practice?
Posted: 2/27/2007 6:22:34 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hi, It does take time, but it will come.

The first thing you want to do is start by just sounding a single note on a piano, or just hum one. On the theremin, slide up or down to the note, match, and hold the note for a few seconds, then move to a new note.

Go slowly at first. You would not believe how frustrated I got when I tried playing rapid stacatta scales.

Don't worry about areal fingering just now. For the first few hours, just concentrate on finding, and matching notes by moving your hand from place to place. When you feel confident about "feeling" where the notes live in space, try slowly experimenting with aereal fingering.

One thing that makes aereal fingering tough is having the zero beat zone too far away from the antenna. Each person is different, but I like to have the edge of my pluss to zero beat zone positioned right over the volume knob or power switch on the Etherwave Standard, sometimes a bit closer. This should get the playing field to fit you to where it's a bit easier to do aereal fingering.

Some really great additional guides to check out are Peter Pringle's "How To Play the Theremin" at peterpringle.com , and I evin went ahead and got the DVD that comes with the Etherwave Pro which really helped evin though I did not have a Pro at that time. Also check out the freely distributed Clara Rockmore's Method in the Learn to Play section of this site. Moog Music also has a method book for theremin by Saxton, but I'm not that thrilled about it. And there are several other books out there.

Most importantly, just don't give up. It's the toughest instrument in the world to play well, but you will master it.

It took me about a week to go from sounding like a cat fight in a sewer pipe to actually playing scales, and another two weeks to squeek out some familliar toons.

That was back in July of 06, now, I'm getting ready for my first gigs, and I'm terrified, evin after 30 years of opera, barbershop, violin, and flute. You'd think it would be a walk in the park from an emotional standpoint.

Keep at it, and let me, or anyone else know if you need help.
Posted: 2/28/2007 10:00:16 AM
Thomas Grillo

You can also find Carolina Eyck's book The Art Of Playing the Theremin at her web site, or at Moog Music in the books and music section. moogmusic.com .

Posted: 2/28/2007 10:59:26 AM
Thomas Grillo

When you feel comfortable getting started with aereal fingering, check out this free short video by Kevin Kissinger at his site http://kevinkissinger.com/

Unlike the video that came with the E standard, he actually tells you what intervals he's playing, and his method is one that I use now, because it's easy to see, and understand. Best of all, it's free. Just click on videos, and you'll see two or three videos on aereal fingering.
Posted: 2/28/2007 11:43:24 AM
Thomas Grillo

Perhaps the toughest thing about learning the theremin is the fact that there is allmost no theremin instructors around close by who can literally walk us through the correct motions of playing.

To make matters worse, particualarly for those of you who are used to seeing in a three dimensional world, just watching someone deomonstrating techniques on a video is particularly tough because you really lack the ability to see depth in a 2-D video.

I've read some postings where folks wished the instructional videos showed the demos from above the instructor, like in a cooking show.

There is however, a rare video on youtube of Pamelia Kurstin which shows a mirror above her that lets you see a top down view of where her arms, and hands are, relative to the instrument.

As good as I've become on the instrument, I'm taking advantage of an upcoming theremin workshop in Asheville North Carolina, at Moog Music, where Pamelia Kurstin will be giving the workshop.

By all means, when you get a chance to attend a theremin workshop, go. Evin when you get good on it, go. You never know what skills you might pick up.
Posted: 3/1/2007 1:41:17 PM
Adi

Brill -thanks a lot of useful info here -I think I must be a complete idiot as far as theremins are concerned - I play piano, oboe and Crumhorn and have perfect pitch which makes my shocking dying cat -like sounds even more excruciating -in fact I stuck out the last theremin for 4 weeks and sold it on ebay I got so depressed- Now Im back with another one 3 months later and am determined to grab a few minutes here and there to try and learn this amazing instrument - I will try and persevere and get back to you ! Will certainly check out the video sites and internet sites you have kindly mentioned any thing helps -just to show how stupid I was -when I first started a few weeks ago I thought the pitch was controlled by having my hand to the right of the pitch aerial and I moved it to the right to get different pitches -oh dear -I think I really do need help !
Posted: 3/1/2007 2:00:17 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hi, You are not stupid at all! In fact approaching the pitch antenna from the right side of it is exactly how Kip Rosser plays, and it's one of the two methods offered by Robert Saxton's book "Method for Theremin".

I personally find it easier to have my playing arc between my body, and the antenna, as do most thereminists.

One thing that will help get you get started with entonation, is how you stand. Mechanical stability is the secret. I use Peter Pringle's tai chi stance where you have the pitch side foot slightly ahead of the volume side foot. But, I use Clara Rockmore's posture by keeping my head back slightly, and back streight (the old book on the head thing). It really helps balance the load from the arms reaching out to the antennae.

Breath control is critical too. You'll soon learn to take slow shallow breaths when playing. Pamelia Kurston addresses that in the E Pro DVD.

You're not stupid, you're just learning a new instrument, and there's no one "set in stone" way to play it. That's the beauty of the theremin.

Keep at it.
Posted: 3/1/2007 2:59:43 PM
TomFarrell

Adi - first of all, relax, and prepare to take it slowly. There is no need to rush. You don't have to play the Theremin with the symphony orchestra next week. Many great players have spoken of taking years to learn.

Try practicing for about 5 minutes at a time, no more, and if possible several times a day. This should help you keep from getting too frustrated at any one session, but keep you at it often enough to make progress.

Get Peter Pringle's DVD if you haven't already.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.