Mr Risistor,,,an electronic band.

Posted: 3/22/2007 12:35:35 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hey, a friend who's totally blind, and plays theremin, and works at NASA ran across a link to a band called Mr Resistor. According to her, they use a MicroKorg synth, a theremin, and reed instruments. They play in New York City.

Here's the link.

http://www.misterresistor.doot.com/

Fair warning, this aint your normal kind of music. It's very sci-fi-ish, and other-worldly sounding.

Anyone heared of these folks before?
Posted: 3/22/2007 4:41:04 PM
DiggyDog

I just checked out the video on their site and they are great!

Almost abstract but still more musical many of the noise bands I have heard. I think they strike a good balance between abstract and structured music.
Posted: 3/22/2007 6:53:28 PM
Thomas Grillo

I agree. At first, I allmost clicked out of the video, but it seems to grow on you. Not bad at all.
Posted: 3/23/2007 8:46:10 AM
DiggyDog

We are not used to the idea of music that does not have regular meter and structure.

A really cool thing happenes when we just let go and start making noise with our instruments without regard to key, rythym, etc.

Eventually, it sort of falls into place and something musical actually develops. That is what these people are doing.

One of my bands is the same way. We sort of just let it happen.
Posted: 3/23/2007 11:16:08 AM
Thomas Grillo

Hmm, That reminds of a quote from the Moog documentary dvd in which one of Moogs teachers was quoted as saying "improvisation is a sequents of errors, all in the right places" or words to that affect. Sums it up nicley, don't it?
Posted: 3/23/2007 12:19:47 PM
Alexander

[i]"improvisation is a sequents of errors, all in the right places"[/i]

I really don't like that quote. It seems to be saying that improvisation is some kind of functional compromise.
Posted: 3/23/2007 1:17:40 PM
Thomas Grillo

I tend to agree. It was the closest thing that came to mind. True improvisation is not errors at all. It's well thaught out, and tastefully done. I can only imagin that Moog's teacher was making a poor joke about improvisation.
Posted: 3/23/2007 2:57:11 PM
DiggyDog

I'm not sure what the quote is really saying.

I tend to think of improvization as NOT making errors but staying within whatever framework has been established.

Sometimes the framework itself is improvized on the spot, in which case there can be no errors at first, only eatsblishing patterns and/or keys etc.

Our minds tend to seek out patterns and find them wherever possible so the randomness quickly turns into order.

At least that's how it works when my noise band plays. Once the piece has started to run its course more randomness and permutations can be thrown in and adapted to.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.