Is it me?

Posted: 4/1/2007 5:02:04 PM
Ardor

I have been keeping an eye on Ebay for a good used Etherwave. An auction showed up (that ends today) that looked good. A standard, the Moog amp, stand and gig bag. At the moment the auction is up to $400. I'd be surprised if it didn't go a lot higher before it's up. The thing is I totaled up what that stuff would go for brand spanking new.

Standard - $400
Amp - $99
Gig bag - $59
Stand - $34
----------------
$592

Now I know $200 isn't $2 but for $200 (or most likely less knowing ebay bidders) wouldn't you be better off buying a brand new with warranty set up? I'm not trying to be a wise ass here. I'm really asking what do you folks think?

Has anyone here bought their theremin, standard or pro used off ebay?
Posted: 4/1/2007 6:32:00 PM
TomFarrell

I bought my Etherwave brand-new via ebay for $400. At the time, I had just seen the Theremin movie and really, really wanted one, and apparently so did everyone else in the country because it was the only one I managed to find available, and all the stores I called said they had a 3 month waiting list. I arrived in perfect condition. I wouldn't be afraid to buy an Etherwave Standard on ebay *if* it came with the paypal money back guarantee. But then, I tend to assume that if things are in working order when I receive them, they will likely stay that way for a reasonable period.

I bought my amp on ebay and have been less happy with it, but I didn't know what I was doing and bought the wrong kind of amp, it's not the seller's fault. I'm planning to replace it soon.

I bought my stand for $20 at my friendly neighborhood guitar shop. They also sold me a nice long audio cable for $9.

I bought my Moog gig bag on ebay for $30, but that was unusual, I don't normally see them there that cheap.
Posted: 4/1/2007 10:45:27 PM
Thomas Grillo

Hey, If e-bay was the only place to get a theremin, I'd have done the bay too. Especially if there was a 3 moonth wait for the dealers, and I needed one soon.

But, if one's available through the dealers for less, then I would not waste my money on e-bay. I'd want that warenty.

Has anyone evin seen a Pro on e-bay?

I have noticed that sometimes dealers have links to items on e-bay, and e-bay becomes cheap advertising for them. That's why some things are so cheap on e-bay.
Posted: 4/2/2007 1:40:26 AM
TomFarrell

When the Pro model first came out, there were many of them on ebay.
Posted: 4/2/2007 5:09:13 PM
DiggyDog

Here is one that is non-theremin related.

My wife bought me a bass guitar for xmas and it is always more expensive on Ebay than it is on MusicYo.com, who are the only distributor of the thing.

Posted: 4/2/2007 6:25:55 PM
buddy_craigg

i love it when that happens
Posted: 4/4/2007 12:10:59 AM
Jeff S

I've often marveled and been frustrated by the same thing myself. It's taken me years to finally obtain a used standard Etherwave in good condition for substantially less than new. And I'm talking less than they were selling for new a few years ago before the sudden price increase shortly after Dr. Moog's passing.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.