advice? I'm travelling to the UK with my theremin (voltage etc.)

Posted: 5/11/2007 8:08:44 AM

From: Jax, FL

Joined: 2/14/2005

Definitely bring the owner's manual and whatever other documentation you can dig up.

Allow yourself some extra time to get through security and you should be fine.

Posted: 5/11/2007 10:21:07 AM

From: Kingston, NY

Joined: 2/13/2005

Very good advice about packing the owners manual.
Any recordings and a press pack might be handy too.
Even on domestic flights, they get really crazy about any transitorized device the particular insprctor hasn't seen before.
Even without a theremin you need more time now then ever. You'd think they would have gotten much better at this by now.

That's great news if you do not need a transformer, just a plug adapter.

I guess it depends on the electical item itself.
Found general facts, pretty much what Gordon said, but very little about specific electronic devices. What seemed mildly useful I'll paste below.

bon voyage!

The voltage used in Britain is 240 Volts AC at 50HZ. Most power sockets are designed for standard 3-pin square plugs. Electrical appliances in Britain generally use the British standard plug with 3 square pins. Plug socket adaptors and power transformers are widely available, you can buy them at most airports, electrical shops and hardware stores."

Britain runs on 240 volt (50Hz) electric current. North Americans will need a transformer and an adapter for appliances such as electric razors, hair dryers, etc. Some hotels supply hair dryers in the bathroom.

Primer on "Electricity in Europe"

Posted: 5/11/2007 5:34:01 PM

From: california

Joined: 5/10/2007

Thank you all. This certainly is a friendly place. I will definately have to make it one of my regular web-surfing-stops!

One more request, if I'm not over-reaching here.
A few of you mentioned actual retailers/sites like "Turnkey"----for that transformer plug that will work instead of my US wallwart. Is there a model or a link or a site where I can buy that specific UK theremin plug for the etherwave?
In the meantime I'll check I should've in the first place!
Posted: 5/11/2007 5:44:54 PM

From: california

Joined: 5/10/2007

ahhhhh, so I go to (why didn't I think of this first-off?) and they have a
"220V power supply" for the etherwave@ $40. This may be the way to go--all made just for it and all---I assume it'll have the UK plugs. Yikes, 2 weeks til my trip. I better get on this.
Thanks again to all!(if anyone's near Liverpool, we're playing Lennon's Pub on Sunday the 27th and The Cavern on Monday the 28th and then in Bradford on the 30th.--hopefully with theremin all working nicely and such)
Posted: 5/11/2007 7:35:56 PM

From: Croxley Green, Hertfordshire, UK

Joined: 10/5/2005

[i]I assume it'll have the UK plugs[/i]

Why? Here ('s a page on wikipedia that has coloured maps of the world showing distributions of voltages and plugs. UK plugs are not the best choice for a company supplying a global market - even if the UK is Moog's 2nd biggest customer base (which I hear it is.)
Posted: 5/12/2007 5:53:30 AM

From: Leicester, UK

Joined: 9/23/2005

I would get the one from Big Briar/Moog. Ordering from other stores which say they stock it often involve them ordering from Big Briar anyway.
I have a power supply fro my standard for each side of the pond. No worries. Happy landings.
Posted: 5/14/2007 4:52:59 PM

From: paris, france

Joined: 1/16/2007

Would an etherwave pro and it's bag be considered as carry-on baggage ?
Anyone had the experience ?
I'm wondering as I should get one back from the states to France (one of the last wooden one). I'm flying with Delta.
Posted: 5/14/2007 6:03:55 PM

From: Kingston, NY

Joined: 2/13/2005

Hey virani,
The EWPro gig bag might be too big for carry on.
The advice I was given was to take the instrument itself well packed in a solid smaller carry on suitcase. I think they got the stand in the carry on too but don't remember now.

You could fill up the voids in the gig bag or box (if you wish to save it which is a good idea) with extra clothes and put it in a large checked suitcase since it won't travel well by itself.

I have not had the good fortune to need to do this, but two professional player friends have gone far abroad and back with their EWPros many times doing that.

And as Diggy says, take all the manuals and proof of it being a legitimate musical instrument in the carry on with you.

good luck
Posted: 5/15/2007 12:58:13 AM

From: paris, france

Joined: 1/16/2007

thanks for the advice. I'll see how I can do it...
I think I'll take the main part as a carry on, and some part in the luggage if there's not enough room
Posted: 5/17/2007 7:54:34 AM

From: Kingston, NY

Joined: 2/13/2005

Definitely carry the arm with you as well as the body. There are delicate circuits in the wooden arm that need protection too.

Oh the EWPro and power front:
So for the Pro you do not need a transformer for the UK and Europe? Sorry, I've gotten confused again.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.