More about looping pedals...

Posted: 5/29/2007 8:08:14 AM
DiggyDog

I can't find the "Playing with Looping Pedals" thread so I will post tis tidbit here...

Yesterday I rediscovered a fun feature on my old Peavey digital delay from the 80's. This is the pedal that the bass player gave to the guitar player who gave it to the keyboard player who gave it to me.

When it is in "sample" mode I can play a short segment and then press the footswitch after the fact.

It will repeat what was just played until the switch is released. This is a lot of fun when I am noodling around and a particular phrase strikes my fancy. I can capture it and play over it for a while and then let go of it until the next one comes along.

I am so used to stomping on the switch and then having the thing repeat everything I play from that point forward. It's really cool to sort of go back in time, even if its only a few seconds.
Posted: 5/29/2007 10:14:09 AM
omhoge

I think it's here.
http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=2250&F=780

On the search page sometimes just a word like "looping" will work better than the title, of course be sure to select the "search www.thereminworld.com" radio button.

Diggy, Good work and thanks for updating this thread where ever it may be...
The Boss delay has a basic sample mode too, and you can overlay but that's about it. Playing and hitting a pedal at the same time is still a trick I haven't mastered, it takes me a bit of a second to restabalize the body and pitch.

Looping is really coming into it's own and out of the mainly ambient styles! All these tips and reports help a lot.

This topic is one of the major ones here right now I think.

The other exciting looping news I've been following is how
Kevin Kissinger will be performing live at Electro-Music 2007 using computer driven looping and minimal or no pre-recorded material. He's actually scoring out concert length pieces and performing the loops live without having to hit any pedals, but I bet he's counting like hell as he progressing through the pre-determined automatic loop points. He's also going to be at an all Loopers festival... I think.
If you haven't kept up with his and everybody's looping notes check them out. There are a lot of different approaches, Kevin's taking looping far beyond pedal pushing and into sersious hard scored works.

ah progress...
Posted: 7/3/2007 1:31:22 AM
kkissinger

Hello to all! This post is to share with you a new composition that utilizes live looping techniques.

My latest compositional efforts have been to create works that utilize live-looping. For the next couple of months I will be "heads down" in the studio to create additional new music for a set that I will play in Santa Cruz at the Y2K7 International Live Looping festival in October.

My direction, as omhoge mentioned, is to create new real-time theremin works with loops and delays. The idea is that such works will complement the other work that I do with theremin and synths.

The link below will take you to a recent track entitled "Three-Legged Race" that utilizes theremin and live loops. On this recording, I played the music straight through with no editing or overdubbing.

http://www.kevinkissinger.com/threeleggedrace.shtml

I premiered another new work at electro-music entitled "Spiral Galaxies" that utilizes multiple synchronized loops and synth tracks. This track and other new music will be included on a cd that is scheduled for release next spring. (I would like to have it done sooner however such a project will be very time-consuming for me.)

To create and perform compositions is time-consuming and impacts other visible activity such as the creation of transcriptions and posts to the forums. If it looks like I've "disappeared" at times it is because I'm in the throes of studio work.

All the best to one and all. Hope you enjoy "Three-Legged Race".

[i]-- Kevin[/i]

http://kevinkissinger.com
http://myspace.com/kkissinger
Posted: 7/3/2007 11:56:27 AM
Brian R

Thanks for posting! An impressive display of Reich-like thereminimalism...
Posted: 7/6/2007 2:06:32 PM
kkissinger

Thank you, Brian. Glad you like "Three-Legged Race". Appreciate the compliment. Steve Reich's music has been a great inspiration to me and his work ranks among my favorites.

"Three-Legged Race" was largely the result of my efforts to optimize system latency. In case you missed it, here is a link to some of my comments on the subject:

http://www.thereminworld.com/forum.asp?cmd=p&T=1391&F=780&p=17

One of the challenges with theremin looping is to create "punchy" rhythms. To get overall system latency under 10ms is a large part of this effort. I am now working to incorporate additional processing into the chain. The current challenge is to work around the cumulative effect of latency as processing is added to the signal chain.

One solution that I am considering is to build rhythmic loops with no processing other than the looper itself and then add processing, when desired, to the already created loops.

While I feel that "Three-Legged Race" maintains interest for its seven minute duration, to keep an entire set of live looping interesting will require more timbral and textural variety.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 8/5/2007 12:01:50 AM
Thomas Grillo

Edited to move off topic content to harmonizing effects thread.
Posted: 8/5/2007 11:17:30 AM
ethermin

Thomas,

Could you possible post a link to info about the vocalive pedal - it sounds interesting!

Maybe in a new thread, perhaps, to allow this one to stay on-topic.

Stuart.
Posted: 8/5/2007 11:30:27 AM
Thomas Grillo

Thank you, I'll start a new thread fo that sort of effect, and post the link there.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.