Stereophonic Amplification

Posted: 7/14/2007 7:38:21 PM
dvision23

Hi,

I've been playing for seven months through two Radio Shack amplified speakers - very old. They're starting to break up.

Now I'd like to replace them. I read about amps and what kind to buy, but I send my signal through a delay and a stereo reverb unit. I get a nice sounding stereo image. Is a set of studio monitors practical or other replacement amplified speakers? Opinions? Should I just switch to a mono amp?

Thanks,
Chris
Posted: 7/14/2007 8:16:02 PM
kkissinger

Hi Chris,

Is this just for your practice room or is this a system that you will take with you when you go out to play?

If stereo is a part of your sound, then definitely consider a multi-channel system.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 7/14/2007 9:21:49 PM
dvision23

Thank you for you writing! I am a hobbyist. In the future, I would consider going out to play for small audiences (recreational settings), should such an opportunity arise. I do no think I'm the kind of player who is ready to rock out on stage with some band. At least that's not what I'm considering now.

I want to play at home and be heard over a loud stereo at times. If I'm playing to Billie Holiday and Mancini recordings, I can almost get by with what I have. If I'm playing along to some rock tunes that I feel are good practice material, I start to get drowned out and my 1990 vintage amplified speakers don't cut it. They distort. And I want the volume to go where it feels like it should go. No fun turning everything down.

Small (4" woofer) stereo studio monitors are $150 to $200 per pair and up but is that the right way to go? I have a subwoofer too, but hooking that up is optional as the old speakers were able to handle a normal amount of theremin bass a decent volume. The distortion is occurring in the midrange.

Does a mulitchannel system fit with my scenario?

Thanks so much,
Chris
Posted: 7/14/2007 10:45:36 PM
kkissinger

Well, since you are already using active (amplified) monitors then to upgrade your monitors may be a good way to go.

Near Field monitors are designed for mixdown -- you have to sit right between the speakers for everything to sound balanced. To fill your studio or a small venue, then you may want to consider powered PA monitors.

I personally use Mackie SRM450s. They weigh 45 pounds a piece however they put out a great sound. Many people like the JBL Eon powered monitors, too. Size and pricewise, they are similar to the Mackie's.

If memory serves me correctly, Peavey also makes some PA monitors similar in size and power to the Mackie's however easier on the pocketbook.

You may want to check with your local music store... take your theremin and fx with you, and try out different monitors.

These speakers will cost more than the Radio Shack speakers however they can take a few shakes and bumps from moving around, sound good, and can handle the load when you want to crank them up!

Keep us posted on your progress. Will be interested to find out what you decide to do.

[i]-- Kevin[/i]
Posted: 7/15/2007 1:09:00 PM
dvision23

Kevin,

You make some good points, and all though PA style spealers are out of my price range as I condider the issue now, that may change in time. THe idea that small low priced studio monitors aren't designed for what I want to do, nost of them having some degree of nearfield sound quality, I feel I'd be throwing my money away on them.

I'm gonna give some more thought. In the mean time I'm trying to reoptimize my playing setup with the RS's so I can enjoy playing the theremin with what I have.

Checked out your website. The interval jumping material is well done.

Thanks, Chris
Posted: 8/31/2007 2:09:19 PM
dvision23

Just bought a Moog theremin amp (mono). I think it's extraordinary. No overdriving problems.

Chris

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.