Adding reverb

Posted: 9/20/2007 11:03:46 AM
8thman

I've been using an Etherwave Standard with a Peavey keyboard amp, and would really like to add some reverb. I've been looking at Digiverb and Verbzilla stompboxes but was concerned that the Etherwave line level output might be too hot for these kind of units. Any suggesttions? Thanks.
Posted: 9/20/2007 3:20:00 PM
unclechristo

can't speak for the stomp boxes - I;m very happy with my Lexicon MPX110 rack (MPX200's are similar too) - it has an input volume knob and sensor light so there is no compression in sound.
They are more than a cheap stomp box but not too dear. They pop up on ebay now and then.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lexicon-MPX-110-24-bit-dual-processor-effects-pannel_W0QQitemZ290162542653QQih
Z019QQcategoryZ23790QQss
PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Posted: 9/21/2007 10:14:52 PM
Jon B

I've used all sorts of stompboxes with the Etherwave and never had any issues.
Posted: 9/22/2007 12:03:50 AM
Thomas Grillo

I'm using a digitech digiverb as primary reverb on the B3, E standard, and E pro with no problems either.
Posted: 9/22/2007 1:04:54 AM
8thman

Okay, thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to see what a little reverb can do for the Etherwave.
Posted: 9/22/2007 5:52:34 AM
GordonC

Hi 8thman,

What a small amount of reverb does for a theremin is adds the missing component in its design - the element most mechanical instruments have - a sound box or board. It makes the sound more natural - less electronic.

A large reverb puts the sound in a real place. Personally I like cranking it right up and playing my theremin in a magnificently cavernous cathedral.

Posted: 9/22/2007 9:58:48 AM
Thomas Grillo

Sometimes I love to crank it all the way up too. But, if you don't want to wash out your articulation, you only need a small amount of reverb. Either way, I love reverb. It actually gets one used to playing in large venues that have lots of natural reverb.

Just make sure the reverb device is the last thing on the line after all other devices, prior to the amp. That way, changes made to other devices won't interupt the reverb right after finnishing a piece, or phrase.
Posted: 9/22/2007 10:52:19 AM
Alan_in_CA

Gordon, Thomas--thanks. Your comments are helpful for me too.

(With a bit of luck I may get the pitch thingy coils for my T-Max wound today. I'm adding two--because that's what fits easily--air coils with taps at 0, 100, 200, 300, 450 and 600 turns, selectable with a rotary switch. No idea if it will have any significant effect, but will see.)
Posted: 9/22/2007 11:10:25 AM
Thomas Grillo

You're winding coils for the theremax? That should have a significant posative affect on linearity, I'd think. I'd like to know the results of that. Good luck on that winding job. I hear it's very difficult, and time consuming. ;)
Posted: 9/23/2007 1:02:13 AM
Alan_in_CA

Thomas-- It doesn't look like it has to be excessively demanding to wind coils; here are the instructions I am using for inspiration, although not following them exactly by any means:

http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/ultimate2b/newcoil.htm
and
http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/ultimate2b/boxwinder.htm

I put together two pairs of 2" PVC couplings to wind the coils around and roughly figured out how to mount them in the case I am building. After going part way down the path to putting the sort of metal cores into the coils that are described in the above links, I decided not to. I have to actually wind the coils and get them in place so I can drill various bolt holes in the bottom of the case before I proceed to the sides of the case, otherwise it would be the Devil's own work to assemble. MY RESEARCH PROJECT, after I get the T-Max built, will be to test the linearity at various coil settings and two different pitch antenna sizes. A friend with an oscilloscope will help, and I will post the results here once I have them. Of course no two types of theremins will have just the same quantitative response to such tinkering, but the qualitative responses should be similar, and therefore it should be of general interest, I think. The electronics experts have probably figured it all out long ago, but I don't have their knowledge, so I must resort to empirical tinkering.

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.