Flying with a Theremin...

Posted: 9/28/2007 11:33:21 AM
Matts

I have to travel for work, and I was thinking of bringing my etherwave standard with. Would it be ok to pack it with my bags, or should I take it with me on the plane. Sorry for the silly question, but I am unsure what the folks at security might say about a theremin....
Posted: 9/28/2007 12:16:20 PM
omhoge

I would carry it on. Seems most folks do. Just in case take the manual with you to prove it's an electronic instrument.
Posted: 10/4/2007 9:22:43 AM
ElectroMungo

I'm in the same situation, in November this year i would like to take my electronic instruments and the Theremin with me from germany to scotland and then to england.
Regarding a manual, that's a bit a problem because i own a Kees Enkelaar Theremin (there is no manual existing for that).

Did anybody of you had serious problems because on airport they do not believe taht it's an musical instrument ?
What do you do with the antennas... i could put them into my gig bag (have that moog gig bag) but i think the antennas will not be allowed on board... so maybe put the antennas into the luggagae and only the theremin on board in the gig bag ?

any hints are highly appreciated...
and another question did anybody of you fly with both Theremin and circuit bent instruments (i think that's a step more suspect ??)

cheers
arthur
Posted: 10/4/2007 10:50:17 AM
Matts

Well I guess I can let you know once I fly with mine!!! I am plannibng on just caring on the unit itself. All the other parts will be packed in my suitcase. I don't think it is going to be a problem, but I will let you know the results when I get to Detroit, MI. I leave on Sun morning.

Posted: 10/4/2007 11:38:25 AM
GordonC

The Kees shouldn't be a problem. Take a screwdriver so you can remove the base and show them it is almost completely empty inside.

Hints. Yeah, don't wander around the airport singing "Terror Couple Kill Colonel" by Bauhaus loudly, whilst drinking cans of this energy drink (http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/clapton/843/graph/semtex.jpg).
Posted: 10/4/2007 12:32:03 PM
carport888

I'm curious whether the luggage-scan radiation will have any effect on a Theremin. Doubtful, but I'm not positive...humor me. ;)
Posted: 10/4/2007 1:20:55 PM
virani

Take a Matryomin, it's easyer ;)
Posted: 10/7/2007 5:04:43 PM
Matts

Ok so I arrived here in MI today. When I left MN the security looked, looked, and looked again. Then they called a supervisor, and another supervisor. All three of them sttod there looking at the monitor and finally they said that it was probably some weird electronic thingy. So they finally send the bag through, and do not even look at it. It made it through fine with no questions asked. I just pluged it in and it sounds fine. Yeahhhh lots of practice time this week. Wow I think I was the only person in the airort with a theremin in his carry on!
Posted: 10/8/2007 8:01:27 AM
omhoge

Great, glad you and your theremin made it OK.
It's funny they stared at the x-ray for so long without a bag inspection.
But if you had had a pocket watch in there as well they would have for sure.
Both a watch and later a musical teddy bear both got me in depth questioning as well as a search. Since there was no timer or solid mass that looked possibly explosive they must have been less concerned about simple unusual electronics.

Good going and happy playing!

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.