Etherwave verses Etherwave Pro

Posted: 11/22/2007 5:04:56 PM
livingjane

If I learn to play on the less expensive Etherwave. will my techniques be transferable to the Pro, or is the technique for each model totally different?
Thanks!
LJ
Posted: 11/22/2007 5:20:19 PM
unclechristo

I didn't find any difficulty changing from one to the other.

I still swap between the two dependign on gigs.

Posted: 11/22/2007 5:27:14 PM
livingjane

Thanks...I'll buy the cheaper model then until I can get my hands on the PRO.
LJ
Posted: 11/23/2007 9:43:02 AM
omhoge

Rest assured the Moog EtherWave Standard is a solid and playable theremin and has been well proven to be an expressive instrument for professional performance as well as an excellent and affordable entry level instrument.

There are things and sounds both the EWPro and EWStandard can perform that the other cannot as easily. I'm a devoted fan of the Pro, and once my Standard was properly calibrated the technique I'd developed pretty much exclusively on the Pro worked perfectly fine with it. For starting down the path of serious playing I'd think a stable and linear theremin like the Moog may serve you better than a less player friendly though cheaper model.

Hope you can try one out or just go for it get one as soon as you can. You have to play the theremin and live with it to find how really wonderful and satisfying an instrument it is.

We must also keep reminding Moog that we need a professional model too in production as well.
Posted: 11/23/2007 1:28:52 PM
livingjane

Did you calibrate the Standard yourself? Is this something to be aware of when I receive mine? I jammed on a standard recently, and was able to find the notes easily. That's why I'm so excited and want to get the best possible one available...I feel like I've been waiting for a long time to feel this way about an instrument.
Is there perhaps a worldwide petition we could start to show Moog that there is a viable market for them to create a new edition even better than the Pro?
Posted: 11/23/2007 5:28:31 PM
Jeff S

I don't believe signing a petition would be necessary. I'm sure the folks at Moog Music are smart enough to tap into the internet resources to monitor the wants and needs of the theremin, synthesizer, and “effects using” musician’s communities.

I don't think it would be in our best interest to force the issue, and it wouldn't surprise me if they are occasionally annoyed by our collective whining. Such is human nature on both counts.

We should thank our lucky stars that Dr. Moog had a soft spot in his heart for the theremin and had almost single-handedly kept it alive long enough for us to enjoy what is perhaps its first real widespread popularity.

Moog Music, with or without Dr. Moog, is a business and as such must plan their designs and manufacturing to sustainable market conditions. While Moog has offered theremins of various quality levels for many years, they alone are not obligated to do so.
There is just not enough demand in the theremin market to sustain a company as its only product, especially a high-end, high priced theremin.

Both the Moog Ethervox and Etherwave Pro had a limited run and did not sell in large numbers mainly because of the high cost to manufacture and their high sell price, not that they weren’t highly desired. We can only hope they are working on a comparable design that would be available at a reasonably affordable price. (I don’t mean “cheap”. Quality goods always come at a “quality” price.)

The only other option is for someone, or some other company, to design, produce, and market their own quality theremins. However, they would also be limited by the same issues of low demand and high price. If that wasn’t the case, we’d already have one or more other companies doing so.
Posted: 11/24/2007 10:56:09 AM
omhoge

livingjane, no I did not re-calibrate my Standard myself. It was an "unused" used one and had drifted or been tweaked or something, when I had other modifications done to it at Moog the technician re-calibrated it and it felt much more like my EWPro afterwards. Out of the factory they're checked and calibrated.
Don't wait any longer, you sound ready to play, get a theremin!

Jeff S, yes we are extremely lucky Bob Moog was able to keep high quality and playable theremins in production. All the renewed interest in playing the theremin would just fizzle without decent instruments. It's tough for a small company, especially in the U.S. and even the highly reputed T-Vox out of Russia could not stay in production. With the EWPro selling out so fast after the end was announced I can't help but think if more folks had acted sooner it may have lasted longer. We need good theremins on the market both of entry level and professional designs. We need to keep asking for them, we need to buy them, and most of all we need to play them.

Posted: 11/24/2007 9:08:30 PM
schielenkrahe

Listen to OmHoge and get yourself the theremin. A standard Etherwave should behave beautfiully right out of the box. It was over six years before I had to open mine up and tweak things a little. It's now over ten years olds and it needs a little finessing every six months or so -- but that's also because I'm so picky about its response and range.

My Pro, on the other hand, had to be adjusted the minute I received it -- it was impossible to play anything without hitting the volume loop repeatedly -- silence could only be achieved at a distance of about 1/4 of an inch. Luckily, the people at Moog were helpful and talked me through the procedure over the phone. Been fine ever since.

Get one and play - why deny yourself the pleasure one moment longer?

kr
www.performancekr.com
Posted: 11/25/2007 12:17:42 AM
teslatheremin

Deleted
Posted: 11/25/2007 9:58:45 AM
livingjane

The mp3's are accessible. That's the only reason I refer to it. I'm going to replace it as soon as I can. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
LJ

You must be logged in to post a reply. Please log in or register for a new account.